Horrible Screeeech sound when raising front landing gear...

Manke3010

I know a lot of the older units had a lot of issues with the Venture/Lippert motors.
I've had this screech occur one other time about 4 months back and oddly enough, when dropping off at the shop for some warranty work.
Of course it didn't do it again when the repair shop went to fix it, so they didn't do anything.
Now it happened again a few weeks ago, and just did again today so I've got a real problem now.
The sound is coming opposite of the motor side (door side of trailer) and is a hellishly loud screech as you raise/extend the landing gear. Lowering it doesn't make the same sound.

I read somewhere that on an older '08 unit someone put some motor oil down the top of the tubes to lubricate them. I wouldn't know how to get to the top of the motor side of the landing gear b/c the generator takes up all the access, but have any of you experienced this, and what is the best fix?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, anyone know what the cost is for a hydraulic landing gear conversion?

traveler44

Have you checked the clearance where the leg travels through the bottom of the front storage compartment? Mine didn't have enough clearance at one side of the leg and started making awful screeching and poping sounds. It only did it when the part of the leg with the plate welded on, tried to pass through the floor. I hope yours is something as simple as mine was because all I had to do was to saw one side of the hole out bigger. Tom M.

fljlcw

I wouldnt use oil of any kind collects dirt and causes more problems later try A silicone based spray that should be sprayed on the slide out mechanism it will lube it and wont collect dust Fred

truknutt

Committed Member
I just had to replace one of my Cyclone's legs while in Nashville and it squealed brand new from Lippert. I quit assuming all parts are the same so I'll explain my setup!!

My Cyclone has a 3 stage leg; inside stage has the pin holes up and down each side, middle stage is the one that actually moves up & down (or in & out) and the main stage is fastened to the trailer. Have you ever extended the inside & middle stages to completely lubricate them? You'll kick yourself when you see the dust, road salt, and small gravels that get jammed in between the stages. I use Slide Out lube (spray can) to lube them up.

Hitch up to the truck, and have your legs fully retracted, manually lower the inside stage and spray away then slide in and out a couple times. Fully retract this stage, then run the middle stage out as far as it will go. Spray away and and retract.

The main stage has a ring & pinion setup and a screw drive that moves the middle stage up & down (in & out). If you remove the metal cap on top of the leg and use a mirror, you can see the ring & pinion and grease it with regular bearing grease. In order to see the screw drive you have to either be a contortionist or pull it out. Your rig is fairly new so I doubt this needs more grease but you never know.

I just posted this link with blow up photos last week for someone. Last pic shows the ring & pinion /screw drive setup.

Manke3010

Thanks everyone so far for the replies. Thanks trucknutt, I'll be sure to do this over the weekend and see if that solves the problem.

Duane (I'm about to start referencing you as the "Godfather"!), so with that fancy new Level Up system you have, do you now use that to hitch/unhitch? Is that why your landing gear is in the shed?
I'm about to take the plunge on new rims/tires so Level Up is not in my immediate future, but what did that system run you?
Seems like it would make more sense than just upgrading to the hydraulic front/rear jacks only....

jnbhobe

Level Up is not in my immediate future, but what did that system run you?
Seems like it would make more sense than just upgrading to the hydraulic front/rear jacks only....

The deal that was out there was for Nashville attendies only, great deal $2400 installed in Goshen, Indiana only. My appointment is Sept. 9th. Jon

truknutt

Committed Member
My landing gear is now in my shed and I still don't see a removable plug.

Mine have a removable metal cover on the very top to keep crap from getting into the "ring & pinion". Page three of the venture .pdf file lists the top cover as part #914-10. My new replacement also came with a new cover.

porthole

Retired
so with that fancy new Level Up system you have, do you now use that to hitch/unhitch? Is that why your landing gear is in the shed?

That would be correct, and it does so quite nicely - and quick.

If you can get the same deal we got it defiantly is a better upgrade.

Manke3010

Thank you all for your comments on this thread. Trucknutt, I did most of what you mentioned and for now it seems to have worked.
I saw score marks of about 3-6" on a few different sides of each of the "middle" stage of the landing gear. None of the stages were that dirty at all, but I cleaned them with oil eaters and then used my RV Slide dry lube spray on the inside and middle stages of the landing gear.
My clearance seemed ok on both sides so I don't think I had an issue like you did traveler44, but could you visually see the scraping of the middle stage when it retracted into the main tube?

Removing that cap and lubing the screw drive and ring and pinion is crazy. I started on that, but then decided I'd just start with the above steps to see if that solves it. I don't have the pin weight of some of the larger 40 ft 5'vers so I'd hope I can get a few more years out of this current setup before having to do an indepth service or swap out for the Level Up or what have you.....

Again, thanks for all the insight fellas...

truknutt

Committed Member
If you have score marks is it possible there is a burr on the inside of the outer stage, or do you think it was just a pebble?

beasleyrl

Btw, anyone know what the cost is for a hydraulic landing gear conversion?
The deal they had for the Nashville rally was $450 if you had hydraulic slides or $750 if you didn't. The flyer shows the list as $1,100 and $2,000 respectively. You also had to add $50 for the install fee to the Nashville prices. For comparison, the MSRP on level up was listed as $4,295.

Manke3010

Thanks for the info on cost figures Beasleyrl, gives me something to think about. I most certainly wouldn't throw more $ at the current single motor electric system if it takes a crap. $500 isn't too bad for hydraulic landing gear if I could get that price offered in Cali.

Trucknutt, it's tough to say. The score marks aren't deep at all, but they are visable. Being that there are 4 sides (on all 3 sections of course) on the middle tube, the back one is in perfect condition, but if memory serves, I think two sides had one or two score lines close to one another. All the score lines were near the corners of any given side. Again, not significant, but I'm guessing that is what's putting off the screech when extending.

Would I have to disassemble the entire leg to clear up these burrs if this issue continues?
Did you have a screw (maybe on both sides...?) of the cap on the landing gear? (the top cap where you'd get to the screw drive and ring/pinion) That's a bear to work in and around :(

truknutt

Committed Member
You would probably have to disassemble but it isn't worth it. You said it's quieter after lubricating it..a couple more weekends of use and any burrs will be worn down. No screws on my top plates. the ears are bent enough to hold them tight.