Suspension Type King Pin Box

jheitman

Chevy does not recommend that I add Ride-Rite air bags to my Silverado truck as they think they might void my power train warranty.

The next best place to add ride softening is in the pin box.
  • I'm wondering if the Heartland Factory representative can comment on the Greystone or Lippert Warranty impacts of replacing the Lippert pin box with a suspension type box from someone else or from Lippert (TrailAir), perhaps one of the following?
1) Reese 5th Airborne
2) Lippert TrailAir Tri-Glide
3) MOR/ryde Pin Box

• Are any of these more compatible with the design of the rest of the 32RE suspension?
  • Does Heartland recommend any one in particular?
  • Anyone else have experience adding one of these to a Greystone?
In order to select one of these replacement units, you have to know the installed Lippert model number.
Manufactures are looking for Lippert numbers like 1621, 1716, 0719, 1116, etc.
I can't find any of these type numbers on my installed Lippert pin box.
Mine has an LCI item # 204822, which is the same item number as on the frame.
S/N on pin box and frame also match.

--Is there a standard Lippert model number for the Greystone 32 RE pin box, or is it custom made for this coach?

We get contineous bouncing up and down and frequent jarring motions fore and aft, chucking I guess.

Thanks

Jim & Marilynn Heitman - Owners Club # 1756
2011 Greystone 32RE
2010 Chevy Silverado, Ext Cab, 4x4, 6.0 L Vortec
Reese Select Plus 20k Slider Hitch

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did that comment come from Chevrolet or from the dealer. If from your dealer, I think they are full of beans. I have never heard anything like that and I work for a Chevy dealer.

lwmcguir

Grab the tape and you can narrow down exactly what pin box you have. Customer service can tell you as well if you call in with the VIN number. Go with 5th Airborne if you want to get rid of both chucking and bucking. No it doesn't void the frame warranty but if you touch it anywhere else it does.

jheitman

I sent an email to GM Chevy division and they called me back. I have asked about other possible warranty impacts and this is the only one they said might be a problem. They didn't say it would flat out void it, but it could if whoever analyzed some future problem at some dealership thought that the air bags could have impacted the problem. Well, that is pretty scary. I like fifth wheels because the drive portion is completely covered for 5 years or 100 thousand miles and there are tons of dealerships to go to for help. If that might be in jeopardy, you got to think about it. So now i'm thinking of putting the isolation into the king pin box. Costs 4x, but will probably be better for the lateral motions.

porthole

Retired
The Mor/ryde is not a "suspension" pin box. It only works for fore and aft movement. Works good up to about a 16,000 pound trailer. You "Chevy" person is not familiar with warranty laws.

porthole

Retired
Air bags for your truck would not be for smoothing your ride - unless you "replaced" your rear suspension with an air ride system. Even doing that will not void your warranty.

Air bags only help to level your truck out when you load it up our drop your pin on it.