leveling the fifth wheel

mcarso1

how level does the camper have to be to open the slideouts? my wife and i were wondering if we were on the road traveling and needed to pull in somewhere to rest if we could just run the slides out to sleep and move around while still hooked to the truck. can this be done or not a good idea?

BruteForce

how level does the camper have to be to open the slideouts? my wife and i were wondering if we were on the road traveling and needed to pull in somewhere to rest if we could just run the slides out to sleep and move around while still hooked to the truck. can this be done or not a good idea?

I do this quite a bit. It doesn't need to be perfectly level. I have level strips on the side and front and I've been up to 4 off the bubble on front or sides when I've parked and opened the slides. Just run the GenSet when you open/close the slides.

I do compensate by lowering the front jacks until they JUST grab the concrete to help with any movement.

Duramax1

It doesn't take very long to level the trailer side to side and it doesn't take very long to lower the front jacks to take the weight off of the truck and stabilize the trailer.

That is what we do even when in a commercial park if we are just staying overnight.

lwmcguir

We Tow our Coach withing 1/2 inches of being level. Slightly high in the front. When we stop I lower the rear landing gear until they pickup some weight and push the nose down about 3/4 inch. Then I lower the hydraulic landing gear until it picks up a bit of weight. Seems to work fine. Very careful about towing with the trailer level. I see a lot of rigs on the road with the Nose at least 4-5 inches higher than the rear. That is a great way to ruing a fridge plus it doesn't look cool.