LCD TV & Freezing

tdharley

After winterizing my rig I wondered , can my LCD TV I installed in my Bedroom freeze?

I am in New York and have been getting some mild winters. Last year we did get one or two weeks of solid freezing temperatures.

I found this article:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/temp_issues.txt

What do you think, can it freeze or am I over reacting. I think I will take mine in just in case.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We have also been concerned about temps damaging our LCD TV. Being in AL though, we were more concerned about heat damage. We had 30 amp service installed at our house and keep power to the unit at all times. In the summer we leave the A/C on, set at about 85 degrees and in the winter we leave a DeLonghi electric oil filled radiator heater on . It has an "anti freeze" setting. So far we've had no problems.

ct0218

That is something I never considered. Our Landmark currently resides in Florida, but will probably be operating out of North Carolina next winter, 08 at the latest. Here in the mountains it really gets cold, and I don't remember reading any warnings in the literature about LCD damage from freezing. Televisions and laptops are shipped common carrier, possibly thousands daily nationwide, and obviously a lot are going to be exposed to sub-freezing temperatures at a depot, transfer point or on a truck. Guess I'll have to check into the possibility.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have had our LCD in our trailer for the past three years with no adverse effects from temps. You have to look at like, at some point everything will freeze, but the liquid crystal paste used in the LCD displays has a different specific gravity than water and its freezing point is much lower as a result. If you think about all the newer cars with LCD displays in there radios , cd players, and televisons,etc. theres not much to worry about as temps go. Happy Travels--Ken

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Check the manual that came with you LCD tv. It should give you max. and min. temps the tv can live in...

J

Jim_1899

rubber matt in storage area

Does Heartland have a rubber matt available that will go in the storage area for the Big Horn. Its hard to keep the grey material clean. If they don't what type have floor cover have you used?

Jim

BluegrassMan

Jim:
See your dealer about the rubber flooring that is in the Landmarks, it is grey with round bumps. You should be able to buy a piece, I would think.

J

Jim_1899

Big Horn - Rubber Mat standard or an option?

I called my dealer twice and have not yet heard back. I am glad that I will be able to purchase the mat. Does any Big Horn owners know if I should have gotten one free?

I will call the dealer, Coleman Country Campers again on Monday.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Jim1899
No the Bighorns come with the gray matted material. You may try and call the parts department at Heartland, they may be able to order a piece of the material that is on the basement floor of the Landmarks. It is a heavy gray mat with bumps, or if the price is to much, pull the carpeting material up and place some stick down flooring in its place.

We've got thousands of LCD displays around the country. When it "freezes" the display, the crystals turn dark and you can't see anything on the screen. But once warmed up again the screen works fine.

These are small black and white screens (you see them on gas pumps) but the same principle should hold for the color TV. Best to check with the manufacturer, though.

John