Mpg 185 Screen Tent

JKGillis

Hello,

We have just purchased a new MPG 185 with the screen tent. We attached the screen tent last weekend and found that the sides and skirt should be attached to the RV body.

Looking for some options for properly attaching the screen tent to the mpg.

Thanks

John and Kathy

brains77396

See if you can find some of those big suction cups with some sort of hook on it.

Hello,

We have just purchased a new MPG 185 with the screen tent. We attached the screen tent last weekend and found that the sides and skirt should be attached to the RV body.

Looking for some options for properly attaching the screen tent to the mpg.

Thanks

John and Kathy

MPG185-GA

I didnt like the option of placing holes in my new investment so I used several bungee chords to wrap the screen around the body and attach to the rear bumper and the front hitch. May not be the prettiest setup, but no holes! I also use some heavy duty magnets to attach the bottom skirt to the frame. I cut the skirt into 3 pieces to fit around the tire and step then it quickly attaches to the frame with the magnets.

mcota

We were told NOT to attach the screen room as as the directions say. Because of the construction of the MPG, there is nothing for the screws to really grip on. We are going to try suction cups to attach it. We also opted for a smaller room that what intially came with the TT. We've used it a couple of times and have been very happy with it. A bonus is that it can be attached to the MPG and remain there.

brains77396

Yes, the only one I have seen is from the MPG web site and it appears to be a big tent like structure. I sure didn't get any type of outside attachment of any kind. There is a channel on the curb side that look like something could be attached to, but it doesn't seem to be long enough for the full dome (tent). Photos?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless the MPG has a rubber roof, you could install snap fittings (like a boat cover) to the roof edge and the canopy to secure it. Seat the fittings on the roof in silicone caulk and you should not have a leak problem. Use stainless steel marine snap fittings. Similar to the close-outs that some folks attach to the underside of their 5'er around the overhang.

mcota

Yes, the only one I have seen is from the MPG web site and it appears to be a big tent like structure. I sure didn't get any type of outside attachment of any kind. There is a channel on the curb side that look like something could be attached to, but it doesn't seem to be long enough for the full dome (tent). Photos?

Our tent is a dometic, like the MPG's. I don't remember the exact size, but the tent we bought was a smaller size than the one that came with the MPG. The size we bought comes in a bag, like the one with the MPG, but the bag is made of a heavier material and attaches to the track. The tent rolls into the bag and then is zipped up. Though it sounds cumbersome, my wife and I can set it up and pack it up in less than 10 minutes. Again, it is smaller. The back and front storage compartments fall outside of the tent. We used it several times this summer and found it plenty big enough.
Unfortunately, our MPG is in for some repairs, so I don't have pictures to attach.

bobhanna

Hi, I'm new to this site and considering to purchase an MPG, and checked all over to see what the tent attachment looked like. Your picture is the only one I've found and it looks pretty good. I see you've had this since 6/'10 and wondered how you like it so far? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Bob

MPG185-GA

Hey Bob,

We love it!! Took a few trips to get all of the do's and dont's resolved, but we have really enjoyed the MPG. I would just recommend spending some time in all of the different models. Took us a little while to select the 185 but that seemed to fit our needs best. The dome tent setup has been very handy. Made it thru a few good size storms with no damage. Maybe 15 minutes on a setup. We like that it really doubles the space of your "living area". And of course we live in BUG country so it has been very handy at combating the pest. Once you attempt the setup it is apparent that the dome tent was not made for the MPG...sort of a "forced fit". You will need to make modifications to the bottom skirt for a proper fit. A few issues with how the tent wraps around the contoured edges of the MPG, but I solve that with bungees. I have seen on this MPG forum discussions of other DOMETIC dome tents for the MPG, specifically one that is smaller and actually rolls up and stays attached to the MPG. So, you may wish to check that out as well.....

This forum is a fantastic place for info so ask away.....

jbeletti

Hey MPG185-GA - I see you are from Georgia. Are you planning to show us that MPG at the GA rally in Elko the first weekend in March?

Come join us :)

Jim

bobhanna

Thanks for replying right away. We have looked at the different floor plans this past week and liked the 185 best. I'm sure we'll get the tent attachment and will use your suggestions wisely. I just purchased my truck (2008 Ram 1500, v/6-6speed man), to pull the TT with 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I installed the hitch and 7-pin connector & wired it all up. I wasn't sure of the pulling power so I hooked up to my friend's TT,(20' toyhauler, approx. 4300 lbs), and towed it about 30 miles. To my surprise it handled wonderfully and pulled it with little effort. So I'm looking forward to getting the little MPG with confidense to pull it ok. We'll probably make the purchase in the next 60 days. If the dealer doesn't want to negotiate I'll end up going north for the advertised deals.
Thanks again, Bob

MPG185-GA

Well, it does tow nicely. My TV is a 2006 GMC Denali and it has no problems. When I bought the MPG I went ahead and got the weight distribution and sway bar setup for future use if we upgraded. Did a 1900 mile trip last October and it was great! Didn't have a lot of TT experience but after that trip, I am ready. I would definitely recommend you have them add a battery cut-off switch, or do it yourself. There are several "little" battery drains in the unit if it sits for a while...

kb0zke

I would definitely recommend you have them add a battery cut-off switch, or do it yourself. There are several "little" battery drains in the unit if it sits for a while...

Yes, we've noticed that. I'm leaving it plugged in while home. I asked about this earlier, and was told that the charger is a float-type, so that there isn't a problem with leaving it plugged in all the time. Once the battery is fully charged it will just stay there. I think, though, that I'll add a battery switch before the grass starts growing. I'd rather not have to buy a new cord because the mower "ate" the original.