Replacing "china bombs" in Canada

Ellie

Alas, we have discovered two more tires with ominous bulges on our BH3670RL (2008 model). This unit has very few miles and is stored inside all winter. We have already replaced one of these tires six months ago, but had great difficulty finding tires rated for the weight and size of the trailer. What does the factory recommend that would be available in Western Canada? We plan to buy four tires this time, and will continue to use the recently purchased one as the spare.

fljlcw

You should use G rated tires, I believe that is what came on your unit it will say on the sidewall. I don't know of any other tire manufacturer than goodyear which is A G614. I believe that's what most people are replacing their factory tires with. FRED

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are Goodyear tires available in Canada?? Lots of people are going to the GY-G614's and some are going to michelin tires.

lwmcguir

If you want to spend another $250 per wheel consider upgrading to 17.5 inch wheels. Gives you a lot more options for tires. There are some nice looking allow wheels for around $250 each. You can then go with 16-18 ply and have several vendors to pick from. Nothing wrong with the G614 tires either. Price isn't much different when you get into a premium trailer tire as far as that goes. The main advantage of going to 17.5 Goodyear G114 is you can run the air pressure lower for your load and help cushion the ride a bit. Speed rating is the same at 75 mph max.

noobee

If you are going with Michelins, Costco seems to have very good prices... they will not install them on a RV.

Eh!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If you don't want another Chinese made tire, Goodyear G614's are your only option...unfortunately Michelin does not make a G rated tire.

We plan on replacing our G614's in about two years and upgrading to H load G114's from Goodyear or J load Michelin tires with 17.5" rims. They both can handle 4805lbs per tire and will give us the much larger weight margin, per tire, we are looking for.

K

karykatz

Heartland RV uses the Goodyear G614 standard on our Landmark and offer as an upgrade on the Bighorn.

loafer

We replaced china bombs and went with Maxxis tires all the way around. Kal tire sell them if they have a dealer in Saskatchewan. These were 15 inch mind you not sure whether they come in 16 or 17.5. !2,000 miles on them so far with no problems.
Heed the advice given here as there are some good tire threads on the site and folks that have been there done that.
My .02 cents
Bill

Ellie

Thank you so much for all the advice! I LOVE this website and all the contributors who are sincerely wanting to help. It looks like we will have to go with Goodyear G614's but they aren't rated for any more weight than the "china bombs" we have now. We are still looking for something a little sturdier to put under our 5er's big butt. Our old '93 Prowler had the original Carlisle tires on it (in great condition) when we traded it in for our Bighorn in '08 . Too bad they don't make them like they used to!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ellie, its not so much the weight rating. It's how well they are made and hold up. BTW, they are made in the good ol' USA...not China

Netem

"made in China" seems to be the common denominator in everything that is failing on our RVs. I've changed my China bombs now my electric slide motor is out [ made in China ]. Don't you just love this global economy.

Netem

Not yet Jon, I'm waiting on a new motor I have ordered. I'll make the rally but may be cranking it out by hand :(