Coax system wiring/satellite in bedroom

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
For all those out there who are trying to hook up a satellite in the bedroom, I have some info to look at. The COAX diagram is posted on the forum, and was somewhat accurate. Well, maybe around 50% accurate.

I have had the satellite in the living area for a while now, you can read about hooking it up here. We finally set up satellite in the bedroom. We have a 2011 Cyclone 3950. There was backing for a tv mount in the entertainment area (verified prior to install by removing the 110V outlet to verify. We mounted it, and hooked up the satellite to the 'satellite' connection via coax. I then took the satellite signal finder to find the correct hookup outside. Amazingly enough, the satellite finder seems to be more useful for troubleshooting the Cyclone's Coax system than it is for finding satellite signals.

So, when the signal finder was hooked up to either the second satellite connection outside or the cable, there was no connection to the receiver. (The signal finder is powered by the receiver the same as the dish is powered by the receiver, so you can tell if you are connected to the receiver by hooking up the signal finder.) So, the next step was to pull the cable connection out of the entertainment area in the bedroom.

Amazingly enough, there was nothing connected to the 'satellite' connection. Great, another thing that isn't hooked up from the Cyclone factory. So, I looked back at the coax diagram from this forum. I have no idea how it makes sense to have the second 'satellite' connection in the docking station go to 'roof prep', but I figured there must be more to this than the diagram indicates. So, I started tracing coax lines. Here is what I found:

From back to front in the docking station:
The first satellite connection goes to the top coax connection in the living area entertainment station. Useful!

The second satellite connection goes to the other side of pass-through storage where you can hook up a tv to use outside. Sounds great if you spend a lot of time at NASCAR races and want to hook up the satellite. However, if you do spend a lot of time at NASCAR races and wanted to hook up a tv outside to a satellite receiver, you can run a line directly from the satellite to the receiver making it ABSOLUTELY USELESS to have a satellite connection from one side of pass-through storage to the other. Here's a better use...HOOK UP THE SECOND SATELLITE CONNECTION TO THE BEDROOM!!!

The cable connection goes to the bedroom where you will find 3 coax cables hooked up to the antenna amplifier. For me, it was in the TV1 position. Only useful if you are at a park with cable. Also useful because this is how I solved my problem.

To get the receiver hooked up in the bedroom, I removed the line from TV1 on the amplifier (cable in docking station) and simply hooked it up to the satellite connection on on below the antenna connection. Works great! Simply hook up the second line to the satellite dish and now I can watch True Blood while the kids watch Nick JR!

Hope this helps.

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
FYI the satellite signal finder I purchased on Amazon.com. I can't remember which model, but it was less than $10, and they all look the same. I'm sure any analog model will work. It has a background light that is on when powered up. This is the indication that you have hit the coax line with the receiver hooked up at the other end. It takes about 30 sec to a minute for the receiver to boot up to the point of sending power to the dish, so be patient.