How we do electric at dog camp

porthole

Retired
Every year we spend Labor Day Weekend at Camp Weequhaic, a kids summer camp.
Each year after the summer session closes the camp is home to the largest Golden Retriever Rescue event in the country, probably the world.

We actually got our first trailer because of this camp.
Anyway, it is not a "trailer park" and we make do with the hookups.

This picture is of our electric hookup. Pays to get there early so you can get one of the 20amp spots.
What this picture doesn't show is some of those extension cords are 2-300 feet long and some go into "tee's" for more sharing.

It all works and we always have a great 5-6 days at dog camp.

Attachments

• D30_5230.JPG
    D30_5230.JPG
    624.6 KB · Views: 238

porthole

Retired
Have a genny, never used it. Fortunately it is in the upper NE area of PA, tends to be a little cooler and not much AC use.

This year though I have a Progressive protector installed, so we will see.

porthole

Retired
Been doing this for 5 years and no problems yet, and it has been going on for about 8-9 years that I know of.

The box is connected to a panel in one of the service buildings. There is over 500 amps available but I think each "octopus" is rated for 50 amps. I volunteered this year to help the guy that runs the electric out, so maybe I'll see what we are really doing. Not going to change anything though, it is not an RV park.

hoefler

With all the tee's and the extension cords, voltage drop would be an issue. Especially on the long runs.

porthole

Retired
With all the tee's and the extension cords, voltage drop would be an issue. Especially on the long runs.

Agree, but we are closest with the shortest run (and biggest cable)
Although this year will be a new test, since the Progressive EMS-HW50C kicks out at 104 volts.

Northern Virginia
Based on that picture, I bet you drop below 104. But, time will certainly tell. Keep us posted.

John

porthole

Retired
OK here are the results. I was a bit concerned as I now had an AC monitoring system in place that may not allow my electric to pass through to the trailer.

Bottom line - when I plugged in the trailer it kicked out the breaker in about 2 minutes. Then I went in turned off the AC, water heater and pulled the plug on the compressor which had fired up from me using air for the pin box box.

After that the rest of the 5 days I never saw voltage drop below 112. Even used the electric heater on low at night and left the water heater on all weekend.

Even though I knew there was an unused 30 amp marine style receptacle, I once again forgot to bring the adapter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at that photo, Duane, I sure hope none of the poochs mistake it for a fire hydrant.

porthole

Retired
Looking at that photo, Duane, I sure hope none of the poochs mistake it for a fire hydrant.

Oh my wouldn't that be interesting!

This year we started keeping it covered with a piece of poly, but that was because of mother nature.

porthole

Retired
Update for an old post.

For the 2011 version of dog camp one of the "campers" who also has a 5th wheel and had access to some unused wire made up a new panel with mostly donated stuff.
We now have a very flexible and easy to handle (except for the shear weight of 150'+) supply line running to the main panel in the basement. No longer using big spring clamps on the lugs. Actually, we eliminated the spring clamps a couple years ago, just adding our wires to existing breakers.

This year breakers were added and a twist lock was installed, some extra plywood and 2x4's and we have a new distribution panel for everyone. The number of outlets coincided with the number of "potential" campers.
Everyone knows this is not a panel were we can all use our AC and heavy load accessories. This year it worked well. Only a couple of popped breakers, but since there is no longer a mish mosh of wires, taps and extension cords going every which way it was easy to isolate any issues. Never tripped either this panels breaker or the main breaker back in the building.

Attachments

• D70_1669_b.jpg
    D70_1669_b.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 79

JohnDar

Update for an old post.

For the 2011 version of dog camp one of the "campers" who also has a 5th wheel and had access to some unused wire made up a new panel with mostly donated stuff.
We now have a very flexible and easy to handle (except for the shear weight of 150'+) supply line running to the main panel in the basement. No longer using big spring clamps on the lugs. Actually, we eliminated the spring clamps a couple years ago, just adding our wires to existing breakers.

This year breakers were added and a twist lock was installed, some extra plywood and 2x4's and we have a new distribution panel for everyone. The number of outlets coincided with the number of "potential" campers.
Everyone knows this is not a panel were we can all use our AC and heavy load accessories. This year it worked well. Only a couple of popped breakers, but since there is no longer a mish mosh of wires, taps and extension cords going every which way it was easy to isolate any issues. Never tripped either this panels breaker or the main breaker back in the building.

I'd be ashamed to show that. There's no DUCT TAPE anywhere. What kind of handy man are you? Red Green would have your chest hairs (provided you have some) ripped out with duct tape for that infraction.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yup! Swap out that blue tarp for a camouflage tarp and flip it over the outlets. Then give er a good wrap or two with camo duck tape.

JohnDar

I wouldn't put camo on it. Somebody wandering around at night with too much adult libation in them might miss it and fall over it. Or think it was a convenient bush...POOF, there goes the power.

porthole

Retired
I wouldn't put camo on it. Somebody wandering around at night with too much adult libation in them might miss it and fall over it. Or think it was a convenient bush...POOF, there goes the power.

That board is on a bit of a hill, too steep for anyone less then sober. And if you saw most of the people at this weekend you would see this would not be a problem. :cool: