Shut Out (from camping) in Dryden Ontario

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
The moderators may move this, I am not sure if this the proper forum to post but I thought everyone should know about Dryden Ontario.

On our way back from the KIngston rally we started out from WaWaont, took on fuel in thunderbay. We had planned on camping in Ignace ( we stopped there a few years ago) only to find that the camp ground was closed, this was after pulling into the driveway off the transcanada.

We proceeded to Dryeden after backing back onto the highway. the camp ground could not accomodate us ( they never really said why) so we thought we would stay in the Walmart accross the street.

A person came over and said we better read a sign on a pole next to the parking lot. when we did we found out that Dryden does not allow campers to stay over night on ANY comercial property. While contemplating this we were told by a police office that we could stop long enough to get groceries etc but then had to move on.

We decided that if a town really did not want us we should not spend any money there as I knew Vermillion Bay was just about 30 km up the road.

I have called the city administrator for Dryden since returning home, they care not at all that the camp ground could not accomodate us, they do not want campers parked for long periods of time.

We needed groceries, fuel and propane none of which was purchased in Dryden.

Chainsaw

thibideau

Re: Shut Out In Dryden Ontario

Thanks for your input. We were planning to stay overnight in Ignace before continuing to Pickle Lake. Now we will look for accommodation elsewhere. Hope this was not the norm for the rest of your trip home.

ann1951

Re: Shut Out In Dryden Ontario

We live in Strathmore AB Wallmarkt is always full of overnighters.

We had the same happening to us in BC you are not abble to stay
overnight anywhere else then a campground, and they know it!

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We called a campground to make a reservation ( outside of Kenora) asked if they were big rig friendly, said yes. We got there and just apst the office ( very winding entry) found myself in a jack pot. I thought we got out okay, had to go to a tenting area about 2km and do some 3 point turning. Everything was good until we got home and I was washing the trailer. I found on the door side at the back that I must have brushed a post (the small ones that keep vehicles off the grass),

I called my friend who has abody shop to come and give me a price. while I was waiting I undid the 2 screws and pulled the panel down, then used a rubber mallet and popped the panel several times, it seemed to come out. I had Janina walk arround the trailer and she could not find the spot so I guess it is okay.

Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The Wally-World in Billings Mt. is the same way. The building is on city property. There is a nice CG in Big Timber Mt. about 2 1/2 miles south of town off I-90. Spring Creek CG. BTW, you can fish for RB trout while you are there.

camr

And now we know why so may of us choose to run the US route. Save money on fuel, and stay in RV friendly communities. My vote would also be to stay away from Dryden. Thank you for the warning.

Hunter

Newby
How disappointing and frustrating. I can understand you moving on and spending your money in another community. Just took a look at Dryden's website and laughed when I read : "Ample parking for cars, RV’s and buses,"

Thanks for the warning.