3 Days without Sewer Gas Smell after vent pipe repair

mikeandconnie

3 Days without Sewer Gas Smell

Posting these picture for example of vents cut to short in roof causing a smell problem, also notice the vent pipes was off about 1 inches from center, so I had to move the base.
Yea, 3 day no smell, even when I dump. My wife is happy.

We had a very bad smell when dumping the tank, bad smell the hot part of the day and a smell when the wind was blowing. Also bad smell from the bedroom AC. Hope this help someone else.

Mike
san antonio 127.JPGsan antonio 128.JPGsan antonio 132.JPGsan antonio 136.JPGvent 005.JPGvent 006.JPG
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Last edited:

Northern Virginia
Re: 3 Days without Sewer Gas Smell

I am a little confused. Is the last picture your fix and since then you haven't had any sewer smells?

mikeandconnie

No smell in the rv at all, even when I dumped the black tank with the gray open,, normal the smell would run you out of the bedroom. All three vents pipe were too short, I guess the smell came from the AC in the bedroom. When the wind was blowing or hot outside it smelled throughout the rig.

John, Sorry missed a few pics.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

Sorry, I'm still a little confused. It looks like you moved the vent base to allow concentric alignment with the vent pipe, but did you extend the pipe to compensate for being cut too short? Also, do you think the fix was related to extending the pipe or the new directional vein-type cap?

porthole

Retired

The person assigned to that original install needs a few minutes in the training department. Maybe even some time spent in a poorly vented installation's room with the doors closed.

Did you send your pictures to the person in charge of Landmark's? No doubt QC would be interested in seeing this.

Northern Virginia

I like your little vent whirly bird thingies. I considered those but I keep loosing the small simple vent covers on tree branches. I hope yours make it better than mine have. In fact, I have kinda given up replacing them and now have 3 vents with out any covers. I am not even sure I know what the covers do.

John

mikeandconnie

Roadjunkie, I had to move the vent base only on one vent due to the extender I used would not go down straight. The other option was to cut a piece of the roof out to move the vent pipe forward, I chose to move the vent base.

4 days and no smell, I'm just happy the smell is gone from the AC in the bedroom. We are traveling next week, I will pull the new vein-type cap off for the ride and see how the smell is then. The vein-type caps helps with any leaks in the systems, but the pipes in the roof I think was causing the AC smell and the smell when the wind was blowing. I had no smell in the basment, that what puzzeled me for months.

mikeandconnie

Porthole, LOL , or meet up with my wife that been sleeping in the bedroom. I dumped the black tank with her napping one afternoon, she came out of bedroom fast. It was funny...

lwmcguir

The main reason for the vent covers is to keep debris, rodents, birds or whatever from falling into the vent lines. Helps reduce venturi effects when traveling at higher speeds as well. The can create some noise in high winds as well without the covers.

lwmcguir

Posting these picture for example of vents cut to short in roof causing a smell problem, also notice the vent pipes was off about 1 inches from center, so I had to move the base.
Yea, 3 day no smell, even when I dump. My wife is happy.

We had a very bad smell when dumping the tank, bad smell the hot part of the day and a smell when the wind was blowing. Also bad smell from the bedroom AC. Hope this help someone else.

Mike
View attachment 9838View attachment 9839View attachment 9840View attachment 9841View attachment 9842View attachment 9843

Nice fix, looks very good.

boatdoc

The person assigned to that original install needs a few minutes in the training department. Maybe even some time spent in a poorly vented installation's room with the doors closed.

Did you send your pictures to the person in charge of Landmark's? No doubt QC would be interested in seeing this.

I have to agree!!! Come on Heartland, you can do better than that, vents aren't rocket science!

chasdvorak

I had the same problem with a 2009 BigHorn 3580...... all four vent pipes were 1" to 2" short of the roof cap covers. The black water pipe vent had a large roof cut-out which allowed me to place 2 fingers through the roof and past the insulation. The smell was awful when dumping the tanks or flushing the toilet. I also noticed the smell through the air conditioner vents when it was running. This was no slight "wiff" of odor, but a strong blast that was lingering and unacceptable. I did not have this problem last year, so I'm not sure if it was due to the heat we experienced this summer or if the gap in the roof added to the problem. I did notice the problem at the Nashville Rally and heard similar comments from a few other attendees.

Here was my fix which has been working since I reconfigured the vents two weeks after the rally. For the 3 gray water pipes, I was able to cut a small piece of pvc pipe and slip it through the vent cover fixtures so the pipe cleared the fitting, but allowed an air gap when the top cover was attached. The black water pipe was cut at an angle which would have allowed a gap, so I had to carefully remove the fitting, add a pvc pipe connector and a small section of pipe. I was fortunate since I was able to re-attach the fitting using the same screw holes and placement. I completed the job by liberally applying the self leveling caulk. I also added a small bead of silicon caulk, (to all of the vent pipes), to the area where the pipe clears the vent cover fitting. This completely sealed the vent pipes to the exterior of the coach and prevented any seepage by rain or melting snow. The results were instantly noticed and while I'm a bit disappointed in the construction technique/QC, I'm thrilled with the results.

I'm going to take a guess at this, but I can't believe this could be a simple mistake since all four vent pipes were short. I think there was a huge QC error if the pipes were installed from the underside without checking the actual roof side clearance. The second option is worse since it means the tech simply installed the vent covers knowing the pipes were rough cut and short.

In any event, I'm thrilled the problem is fixed. I am very satisfied with every other aspect of my coach except the plumbing. All of my problems have been related to plumbing issues involving bad components (i.e. fixtures, fittings, check valves, etc) or plumbing installation issues.

That said, the overall appearance, fit and finish of my coach are excellent and I have been very satisfied with Heartlands' support (thanks Eric), particularly the extra miles they go for their customer. I especially appreciate the support at the rallies and the customer deals (just installed the LevelUp system at huge savings). My hope is that this is an isolated problem which has been properly addressed through the construction and QC process.

I do have some pictures which may better explain the problem and solution, but I haven't quite figured out the way to post them. If you are expereincing the same problem, (you will no doubt know it) drop me a line and I can forward the pictures.

Best Regards,

Chuck Dvorak
2009 BigHorn 3850PL
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Quad Cab
HOC# 1229

piv1

Interesting I have a smell also. My wife has been complaining to. My 3300BHS has the gray pipe right next to the AC unit and when running the kitchen sink a smell would come into the AC. I caulked and sealed the AC unit from the inside thinking it should not be pulling in hot outside air and I could see some daylight. But now that I see your pipes I think I may have the same issues. will check.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
piv1, because you said that you smell sewer gas when your wife uses the kitchen sink, check out the Studor Valve under the sink. If you look at the drain pipe under the sink, actually kitchen and bathroom sinks, you will see a black valve about two inches in diameter. Some times they fail to close. Make sure it operates freely. You can buy a new one at any home building store such as Home Depot if needed. They just screw on.

Peace
Dave

RoadJunkie

Nice product with install video...Did he really refer to himself as "Professor of RVing"? LOL I'll probably get a couple of these.

Northern Virginia
piv1, because you said that you smell sewer gas when your wife uses the kitchen sink, check out the Studor Valve under the sink. If you look at the drain pipe under the sink, actually kitchen and bathroom sinks, you will see a black valve about two inches in diameter. Some times they fail to close. Make sure it operates freely. You can buy a new one at any home building store such as Home Depot if needed. They just screw on.

Peace
Dave

The valve at my kitchen sink starts letting out odor when my gray tank is nearing full (2/3). What does this valve do and why am I getting odor when the tank is nearing full?

Thanks,

John

2010augusta

The valve at my kitchen sink starts letting out odor when my gray tank is nearing full (2/3). What does this valve do and why am I getting odor when the tank is nearing full?

Thanks,

John
John, The studor valve is an air check valve so the water can "suck" air down the drain and not burp through the sink. They should allow air into the pipe but not out. I have no idea why it would only malfunction when 2/3's full.

Northern Virginia
John, The studor valve is an air check valve so the water can "suck" air down the drain and not burp through the sink. They should allow air into the pipe but not out.
Doesn't the roof vent perform this function?

I know, it's weird. This has happened several times. Once I drain the galley sink, no more odor.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't the roof vent perform this function?

Yes and no. The roof vent will work when the kitchen sink drain pipe is hooked into that vent pipe. Your RV does not have that luxury so a Studor valve is there to allow air into the system so it can properly drain.
Alan is right.
I can't explain why you get odor when your tank is partially full other than the Studor valve is no longer functioning properly.
You can purchase a new one very inexpensively.

Peace
Dave