Hydraulic Slide System

DRGalligher

We're just bought a new Bighorn 3055RL and not only are we new to 5th wheels but to hydraulic systems. I have several questions regarding them:
1. When bringing slides in or extending them, when do I stop pushing the button? When I visually see that all slides are out or . . . ? With our previous RV's (TT's), we had electric slides and it just stopped making noise when they were in or out completely. Can you harm the system by keeping the button depressed when the slides are visually in or out all the way?
2. In winter, or cold weather camping, do the slides extend and retract slower? We camp a lot in cold weather and often pull out in the morning when weather is coldest. Any issues or special instructions here?

Thank you! This is a great forum.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Last year while having our slide worked on by Lippert, the Lippert technician told us to hold the button in for about 1-2 second(s) after you hear the noise dragging down. This helps 'bleed' the system. I have done that and have not noticed any problems. We camp year round and have not noticed any difference in slide operations from winter to summer.

DRGalligher

Thank you JMGratz! This is really helpful to know. I know what you mean about the noise dragging down, so I'll hold the button in for a couple seconds more. That's also good to know about operation in summer or winter.

lwmcguir

Last year while having our slide worked on by Lippert, the Lippert technician told us to hold the button in for about 1-2 second(s) after you hear the noise dragging down. This helps 'bleed' the system. I have done that and have not noticed any problems. We camp year round and have not noticed any difference in slide operations from winter to summer.

Do ours the same way and seems to be just right. Not much dust leakage and no water so they must seal up good. They appear to.

ann1951

We have the same BH as you do and you can hear the sound change. I find that in cold wheater
it is somewhat slower but never had a problem. Heartland makes pretty good stuff!
Have fun Joe

DRGalligher

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. We're heading for a long camping trip towards colder climes so I'll keep that in mind.