campground directories

k-f-Indiana

Do you find more than one campground directory helpful in finding desirable campgrounds, or do you more commonly use RV Park Reviews? I am now using Trailer Life's CG directory and RV Park Reviews, but still have a problem finding a CG we want in some areas. A camper once told me that they find CGs in Woodalls that are not listed in TL, and vice versa. What is your best method that works for you? We are traveling extensively now, and move almost every week, so your input would be very helpful.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use Trailer Life, Woodalls, Escapees, Camp Club USA, Pass Port America directories and the Good Sam, KOA, Passport Armerica, Camp Club USA, Trailer Life web sites. And sometimes we just follow the camping sign and drive up. Works all the time for us.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When we know the direction we want to go I use Streets & Trips to find the route I like. For instance we want to go to Hermon Maine from Elkhart IN. I don't want to travel on Toll Roads. Last time I did I spent $30 to go from Milan OH to Elkhart and it cost me over $30.

When Streets and trips gives me a route I modify the route to one I like. I then start from where I am, Elkhart, and go about 200 miles and place a push pin. I then have S&T show me all the campgrounds around the push pin for 30 miles. If there is a lot of them I reduce the radius smaller until I find say 5 or 10 in the area of the push pin ad near the route I have layed out. Then I go to Passport America and Campclub USA to see if any of them are part of their system. Then I go to RV Park Reviews and see what others have to say about the ones I found. If necessary I either reduce the distance to 150 miles or extend it to 250 miles & check for more campgrounds.

You can click on the route if you wish and see all the campgrounds along the entire route. Normally I will reduce the distance to say 5 or 10 miles.

After I have found a campgound I like, I click on the icon on the menu bar for Bing Maps and see if I can see what the campground looks like. I will even go to Google Earth.

If I like the campground I will call and see if I can get a campsite. Sometimes I just call about an hour before I will arrive, but then I have about 3 or 4 phone numbers to other campgrounds incase they are full.

That is about what I do.

BC

porthole

Retired
I frequently do what Bob does, using the same S&T. On the same premise, when traveling on the motorcycle I usually will just move the cursor to where I expect to be in ???? and then "find" places nearby. Limiting the search to words with campground, hotel, motel etc in the list.

SmokeyBare

Using any of the several mapping programs on line, narrow down the location your wanting to find Campgrounds. Do a search in the area. The search results should provide you a link to the campgrounds web site if they have one listed. You can also zoom in to the campgrounds using the satellite view to get a birds eye view of the place. This helps to understand better where the campground is located and who it's neighbors are... such as rail road tracks, or other less desirable locations.

k-f-Indiana

Thanks everybody. You gave me a lot of info that I was not aware of. I've been thinking about Streets & Trips, so this info settles the matter for me. This site and it's members are a great wealth of information. Thanks again.