2000 7.3 psd , 3670 rl bighorn

krg

Air bags, hi flow muffler, afe, super chips programmer, did well with old smaller trailer. Plan to build up tranny, bigger exhaust, injector upgrade, custom tune programmer, cold air intake, duell fuel pumps, still cheaper than a new truck and i'm really happy with the truck so far 165000 miles and still a great truck. No major problems so far, a real work horse with a great ride empty. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

2010augusta

I loved my old '94 7.3 turbo diesel F-350, but there was NO way it was ever going to handle the Landmark the way a F-450 would, and I sold the 350 for the same amount i bought it for, even with 218,000.

found a great deal on the used 450, so we didn't take a huge hit on it either, I feel sorry for the first owner, as they had to have loss about $40,000 in the ~18 months they had the truck.

krg

been looking at f-450's , still a little leary about the 6.0. have you had any issues? hows it pull on big hills, sounds like are 5er's are the same weight. is the truck stock or doe's it have performance upgrades? p.s. yes on the guage's thanks

2010augusta

No issues with the 6.0L, and it pulls great on the hills, It is bone stock except for an AFE intake the previous owner installed, We opted for the extended power-train warranty from Ford so now power adders or chips yet.

The wider front axle makes the turning radius much better than the 350s, and the brakes are also bigger, and the factory 19.5 wheels let you run better tires.

krg

maybe some day down the road, i like the idea of bigger breaks and sharper turns wood be awesome. thanks for the info. we like your pic. as soon as i figure out how, i'll put up a pic. hope to meet you some time, maybe at a rally, or are tt members?

lwmcguir

The later 6.0 engines from 2005 and on-wards have held up very well. The have a great internal diagnostic system that is almost bullet proof. Due to the design of the ECG and the Oil cooler is it imperative that you change the antifreeze at 50,000 miles and use the high end Ford product.

They have more power than the 7..3 and I have found I don't need a chip to pull something as light as an Augusta. If you go with the F450 then you are going to have a lower gear ratio and probably wont have to have a chip either unless you like to burn fuel and push the speed a bit. We pull up to 30K with our F550 and it does it fine with no chip.