Adding directionals to the sides

porthole

Retired
Every search I did brought up topics that had nothing to do with what I am trying. :confused:

I want to add a combo run/turn signal amber light to the sides of the trailer, mid ship.

I'm guessing I need some type of isolator to make this work, since the wiring coming out of the truck connector combines the brake with the turn signal.

So how do I separate the brake from the turn?
I have dual intensity LEDs for this project, 3 wires.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I've thought about the midship lights also, but never thougth about seperating brake and turn signal. Why not have a brake light on the side also, can't see what it would hurt, It would give notice to someone next to you.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, it can be done. I did it on our Horn. It requires running 2 seperate wires from the rear of the truck and new wires to the lights. Send me an email with your PH.# and I will call you about how to do it.

Steve, Im not sure if you can do it on a Ford. The only way it would work is..IF..you can find that the rear T/Signal bulbs are wired seperate and not the stop lamp bulbs. Other wise the side marker/turn lamp will come on when you apply the brakes also.

jnbhobe

I've thought about the midship lights also, but never thougth about seperating brake and turn signal. Why not have a brake light on the side also, can't see what it would hurt, It would give notice to someone next to you.

I have them on our 3370 They are wired in with the running lights and the turn signals and operate with the stop lights

hillsonwheels

Hey Guys!

Me too!! Have an '08 Chevy and would like to do the same for our '09 Horn. I've had so many close calls :mad: recently that I'm believing there's a target :confused: painted on the sides of TV and coach. My bride sez that air horns are definitely in the picture before too long. My take is that every little thing (mid ship lights) helps!

So, I'd like some instruction (remedial) :rolleyes: as well.

Dick

jnbhobe

Dick; I think you can just cut into the Horns wireing harrness and wire in your lights even if you do have a CHEBBY.

jimtoo

OK,, you have three wires... ground,,, low int... high int... run wire to back of the Horn from the light you mount on the side,,,to tail light...splice into the wiring. Find the Ground,, normally black on 12v.. splice the low int into the tail light wire,,, easy to find with lights on and 12v tester or volt meter.... splice high int into the brake light and turn sig wire.. You will need to do this for each side.

lwmcguir

All of our larger GN trailers have the Amber Mid ship LED lamps. They operate with the brake light and turn signal. That is fine with me. That is the standard way all the larger trailers are manufactured and wired. i don't see a problem withe the light going to bright when you are braking. Just might get someones attention that is beside you.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Funny you mentioned air horns.. after a few close calls ourselves, this is on our list. Duane put them on the Harley which is great. Too many cell phone (mommies more than men) out there not paying attention..
The lights are going to make us more visable which is a good thing.

hillsonwheels

Thanks Jim too for the "remedial" instruction. :D Do you make "affordable" house calls? :rolleyes:

And, for I forget........My wife wants the trigger on the air horns (or is it for the twin mounted .50 caliber machine guns?) :cool:

I really do not understand how someone can't see 30,000 pounds of "stuff" coming at them. God bless anyone who has the nerve to ride motorcycles.

Dick

porthole

Retired
I need something that will isolate the side lights, I do not want the brake lights to work the sidelights too. Not only illegal but will only add confusion.
On my motorcycle I have a load equalizer and module that allows my run and turn signals to also act as brake lights. That is what I was looking for.

I think I may have found it with this.

118158.jpg

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=118158

I found several version of this and varying prices, as low as $6 on ebay.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks Jim too for the "remedial" instruction. :D Do you make "affordable" house calls? :rolleyes:

And, for I forget........My wife wants the trigger on the air horns (or is it for the twin mounted .50 caliber machine guns?) :cool:

I really do not understand how someone can't see 30,000 pounds of "stuff" coming at them. God bless anyone who has the nerve to ride motorcycles.

Dick

If you contact GM SPO, they might still have a few of the Delco-Remy Whisper 50's in stock. Might inquire about the Pierre Cardin Wallet Launcher, too. Way back in the day, when things were a bit rough around the Cadillac Plant in Detroit, some of the engineers drew up "plans" for the "Clark Street Penetrator," and had them as options. Somewhere at home, I've still got a copy of that drawing.

But, the idea of side turn signals is a good one. Our fire trucks have them and they seem to help if someone is alongside and we need to change lanes or turn. On the 3670, there are side marker lamps mid-ship and on the sides of the nose. I wonder if they could be changed to turn signals without too much effort.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I would have a problem with the midship lights activating with the brake. I have seen some new vehicles that the third brake light also flashes whe brake is applied. that would be a neat mod for the back of the Horn.

I want LOUD airhorns on my truck. It is my daily driver, and it sems that every car wants to be in front of the "big slow truck", even when I'm with the flow of traffic. Also it would make some that are on the cellphone have to clean there drawer.

JohnDar

I would have a problem with the midship lights activating with the brake. I have seen some new vehicles that the third brake light also flashes whe brake is applied. that would be a neat mod for the back of the Horn.

I want LOUD airhorns on my truck. It is my daily driver, and it sems that every car wants to be in front of the "big slow truck", even when I'm with the flow of traffic. Also it would make some that are on the cellphone have to clean there drawer.[/QUOTE]

Don't bet on it. You can't be much more noticeable than a fire truck with enough lights to qualifiy for a part in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, an air horn, electric siren, Roto-Ray, and a mechanical Federal Q siren all operating. But, if Soccer Mom or Joey Business is yakking on the cell phone, we might as well be running dark and silent right behind them.

porthole

Retired

I want LOUD airhorns on my truck. It is my daily driver, and it sems that every car wants to be in front of the "big slow truck", even when I'm with the flow of traffic. Also it would make some that are on the cellphone have to clean there drawer.[/QUOTE]

Don't bet on it. You can't be much more noticeable than a fire truck with enough lights to qualify for a part in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, an air horn, electric siren, Roto-Ray, and a mechanical Federal Q siren all operating. But, if Soccer Mom or Joey Business is yakking on the cell phone, we might as well be running dark and silent right behind them.

Welcome to New Jersey - trying running the same rig where you have a mix of New York City drivers and New Jersey divers. NYC people tend to just stop where they are and let the fire trucks go around. NJ drivers tend to pull over IF they are even paying attention. Either way it is a challenge.
NOTE: does not include moms in their SUV's on the phone who have no clue as to their surroundings (and if that offends you - oh well, you are either a)guilty or b) not aware because of the phone).

And this does not even include the DWI's (not referring to alcohol or drugs)

JohnDar

Welcome to New Jersey - trying running the same rig where you have a mix of New York City drivers and New Jersey divers. NYC people tend to just stop where they are and let the fire trucks go around. NJ drivers tend to pull over IF they are even paying attention. Either way it is a challenge.
NOTE: does not include moms in their SUV's on the phone who have no clue as to their surroundings (and if that offends you - oh well, you are either a)guilty or b) not aware because of the phone).

And this does not even include the DWI's (not referring to alcohol or drugs)

Gotta love it, Duane.

porthole

Retired
I'll follow up on this in the "mods" thread.

I got this working, turn only and mounted mid ship.

Works well enough that jnphobe noticed the directional as we were coming into the PA rally.

Manzan

We have a suburban with the tow mirrors with turn signals in them Hard to miss. I found most people see them and will let you move over. Except in California. You could drive for a mile with them on (except they turn off after 3/4 mile) and you are ignored but if you start to move over, the get out of the way fast with out any recriminations. Our trailer is a lot shorter than a lot of yours which may have something to do with it. I do think a turn light in the middle of the bit trailers is a great idea.