What is the bolt torque for trailair

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
What is the torque for the 8 bolts holding my Trailair pin to my bighorn . My pin was low on 1 side and high on the nose (1/2 inch) when hitched. I did hit a pretty good bump last time out and heard a crack. Spent 2 hrs under the trailer yesterday checking welds, re torquing springs, wheels etc.... Did not find anything. Hitched up and looked for movement, cracks, separations , anything. Found nothing wrong. Looked at my hitch and noticed the strange pin angle. Lowered landing gear and watched the pin hoping it was moving and not the trailer overhang. The pin was moving with a load on it. Got out the tools, levelled the trailer side to side and back to front. Loosened off all 8 bolts (4 were not at all tight). Put my jack under the pin and a level on top and proceeded to get the pin levelled back up. Got her back where I wanted it and torqued the 8 bolts to 150 lbs. My question is what is the proper torque for these bolts and is there anything else I could have missed checking?

Thanks

Rick

Ricoh

That's what I'm saying. Some of the bolts were not as tight as I would have wanted. I will be hooking it up again and checking for movement in the pin or the overhang of the trailer as I ran out of time and get up and go yesterday. When I loosened the 8 bolts the pin had a lot of movement as if the holes were larger than the bolts themselves. Another thing to check.

Rick

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was not sure what the torque should be for the Trailair pinboxes, so here is what I found.

Care should be taken not to drop new pin box; this could cause injury.
If you are installing the multi-fit version, drill new pin box with the
same size holes and in the same location as the mounting holes
for the old pin box. If you are installing one of the pre-drilled
versions, no drilling is required. We recommend using the nuts,
bolts and washers that came on the coach unless they are in
bad condition. Make sure replacement fastners are corresponding
the same grade and diameter as those removed. For
torque specifications on pin box bolts refer to manufacturer's
specifications. If no torque requirements exist, torque 1/2" bolts
a minimum of 110 ft./lbs , 5/8" bolts a minimum of 160 ft./lbs and
3/4" bolts a minimum of 210 ft./lbs.

L05 Lippert 1621
L07 Lippert 1716
http://www.trailair.com/products/airpin/ap_appguide.pdf
Bolts are 5/8" and head is 15/16"

So maybe this will help.

BC

Ricoh

Thanks TXBobcat. My bolts are 5/8 with a 15/16 head. I did torque them to 150 lbs. will give them an extra 10 later this week.

Rick