Cable Slides (again)

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
This is no way meant to be anything negative...I am just curious and ignorant!

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that until our 3450 TS was delivered, I did not know the bedroom slide was cable actuated. We shopped for 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheels for nearly a year and we (DW and I) liked the Heartlands the best. I read the literature, “hydraulic slides” was the theme. We viewed several Heartlands at a dealer…(Never thought to have them retract the slides.) We could see the important stuff like getting at the refer and the bathroom with slides in.

Imagine my surprise when the rig was delivered seeing all the array of cables under the retracted slide! Not a problem…we loved the rig. During the short PDI I ran all the slides and thought the cabled one worked just fine…it still does. Very smooth and positive.

Now…my friends and acquaintances are giving me the “go around” about cable slides. I am hearing things like they are hard to keep functioning properly, cables fray, they are unsightly, you have to adjust them after every use, they go out of alignment easily etc.
I thought it was an advantage to have the extra room under the bed and nothing under the outside of the slide.

What say you regarding cable slides?

Many thanks!

jbeletti

I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but the last 2 RVs I have had, used the BAL cable slide systems. I personally have had zero issues with them. They are smooth, fast and quiet. That said, Terry H who bought my last demo coach had to replace a cable or some such, in year 3 of the unit's life. Was talking to Bill Sims and he too, on his LM cape Cod, has had to make repairs to a cable end.

As for unsightliness, I barely notice the cable on the outside as that slide is so high.

I think generally, the slides are good.

Jim

SJH

Thanks Jim...I guess I am basically looking for "reassurance" that they will be OK. I, like you, see nothing unsightly about the cables...I was quite surprised at that comment by a fellow RV'er.

jimtoo

I think overall on the forum, we have had less negative comments about the cable slides giving problems than the hydraulic slides. Not because they are not used as much, but they just don't give a problem.

Jim M

hart1369

our son makes custom vehicles for the goverment and for the rich & famous he said cable is the way to go his words not mine

SJH

HERE is a lively discussion about cable slides at RV.net if interested. I guess time will tell regarding adjustments and reliability. So far, the cable slide works great. I noticed they are installed upside down in the 3450 from the demos and manuals at BAL Accu-Slide... that is the motor and cable works are at the slide bottom rather than top. I don't think that would be an issue.