How many have washer and dryer?

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
How many of you have a washer and dryer in your rigs? Do you use them a lot ? Is it worth having them? Told my wife that I did not think we needed them and could do a wash at a laundry quicker.

Rick

porthole

Retired
How many of you have a washer and dryer in your rigs? Do you use them a lot ? Is it worth having them? Told my wife that I did not think we needed them and could do a wash at a laundry quicker.

Rick

Almost everyone with one would not be without it.
Almost everyone without one do not see a need for it.

Make sense?

You can do a load quicker at the laundromat.

But we can throw the towels in the dryer after a shower.
Can also do a load of wash whenever and hang out at the trailer instead of somewhere else.

Ours proved the option was worth while when I picked up the trailer.
I brought 4 days worth of clothes when I went to pick up the trailer (750 miles one way)
I spent 9 days on the trip.

You would not want to do a weeks worth of clothes for a family of 4 at one time, that will take all day and night. But if you stay on top of it.........

If you are thinking of a combo unit they work best if you wash, remove the clothes and shake them out then put them back in to dry. Although it will wash and dry with no user help other then setting the controls for that.

And, liquid fabric softener is highly recommend due to the spin speed (1200 RPM)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Rick

I actually felt the same way...even spent the first year fulltiming without the W/D. After doing laundry in some pretty seedy laundromats, etc....DH finally convinced me to get them...we actually have the stackable Whirlpool set.

NOW...you could NOT pry these things out of my "cold, dead hands"!!! I will never be without them again...best addition to our RV even over the Level-Up...JMHO!!

I usually do laundry once a week, consisting of 4-5 loads and can finish in about 5 hours...but, I can do lots of other things around the RV while laundry is being done.

caissiel

We have one W/D in the RV since retirement. We have no dirty cloths in the hamper. Wash as soon as there is enough for a load.

Washing to us is a none event, hardly notice the requirement for washing, we just load the washer and pick it up when its dry. Would never live in an RV without it for sure.

We get the comment all the time, its not required, well we know how good it is for us. When we boomdock we surely miss it.

The Spledid 2100 rotates 1200RPM and if we have large loads we just hang it to dry, and its almost dry when we take it of the washer.

I have noticed that a lot of motorhomes have no room for the larger Splendid 2100 model, its a shame that with all the expences on an RV that one has to sacrifice the size of the unit. The larger 2100 Model to us was the right unit to use compared to the smaller units.

We have ours now 6 years and it was paid for in 2 years, compared to using laundrymates.

I love my Splendide (combo washer & dryer) and wouldn't be without it. So nice to put in a load at night when you go to bed and have it completed when you awake in the morning. Sure there's a little noise but doesn't bother us at all. It's so convenient and you know you are washing your clothes in your own clean washer. It was the best item that we've added to our rig.

cswarts

My wife and I are bought our stackable splendide washer and dryer when we got our new unit. I am so glad that we did. In just less than 6 months of use we have payed for itself with what we were spending in the laundry mat. Best decision of our young full timing start. We would definitely never give them up.

2010augusta

We use our stackables several times every week, we would not be without them. And now with a baby on the way it will get even more use.

if you are just weekending or going out on short trips that you can pack enough clothes then it is just extra weight, but if you are full-time or seasonal then it is a must.

goodtruck

We have a combo unit and would not be without it.We do take the heavy blankets and comforters to the laundtrmat.

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
We have a Splendide 2100 Combo Unit and it is great! You arrive at a campsite, put in a load of laundry and by evening you are done. It takes very little detergent and fabric softener to do a load. What is nice is that you have the option to wash/dry, just wash or just dry. On rainy days with a wet dog, it is great to put the towels in and have them dry up!!

Our door needed to be repaired and we were without it for a week. Laundromats on the road range from very clean to not so great. Prices vary as well and finding a time when they are not is use can be a challenge. I was warned in one site not to use a certain dryer as the individual's clothes had been burned when she used it.

I am in agreement with all the comments provided above. Don't let the laundry pile up, do bulky items at the laundromat and enjoy the freedom of doing laundry at "your" convenience in your unit.

Christine

Dragoon

Have had both combo and now have stack. By far, the stack is the best option (for us). The combo took a long time to dry clothes. What a difference now. Yes, too many seedy laundromats! You never know what's been in the machines. From horse hair, to being used for dying clothes (think pink!) No thanks. That being said, you do get to meet interesting people in these places. Good for picking up tips on local events, places to eat, etc. Lots of other reasons pro and con, but as said above, once you have them (or a combo), you won't be without (if possible). Good luck with your decision...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've got the Spendide combo in our rig. Ordered it when we bought it. As mentioned, small loads are no problem and it sure beats sitting at a laundromat on a plastic chair. Sure, my T-shirts come out wrinkled, but I'm no stranger to a steam iron.

Clymer

We have the stack unit and I LOVE IT!!! Works like a charm we go to horse shows so dirty laundry is a given...so nice to have the washer and dryer right in the camper...I WOULD get it!!

jbeletti

This is a great thread. Those of you who are full-time or near it, that do not have a washer/dryer in the RV, please add your thoughts on why it works best for you to hit the laundromat.

I have had the combo and the stackable separates. Love having a W/D in the RV. I don't full-time but I'm in the RV maybe 200 nights a year. Like someone else mentioned, I just toss the dirty clothes in the washer and where there's enough for a load, I wash them.

My sense is that some that full-time and have chosen to use a laundromat, do so as they need the extra space in the RV for other items, such as a refrigerator, a freezer, a filing cabinet etc.

Jim

SmokeyBare

No Washer/Dryer in our Bighorn or our previous (SOB) fifth wheel. We chose to use the local Laundromats be it in the RV Park we are staying at the moment or located in a near by town. If we decided to have one it would be a combination machine, both washer & dryer all in one, since our Bighorn is not built for a stack type.

We use the space in the front closet instead for a small 3 Cu. Ft freezer. The freezer gives us a chance to store more meat and poultry products than our fridge freezer would allow. It really helps us to stock up when we find a items at a good price at the grocery store.

We make doing laundry a "Day Out" getting the laundry finished far quicker by using several washer loads at one time as well drying several loads at one time. Often we are finished with 2 weeks worth of laundry in about 1 hour 45 minutes. Folding takes a few more minutes and the rest of the day is ours to explore the area or to find a restaurant we want to try. Also there's the opportunity to chat with who's ever else doing laundry that day, although this happens most often at the RV Park's Laundromat and not as often in town. Not sure exactly why but I'd guess it's easier to break the ice with like minded folks... other RV'ers than those who might be in a public laundry. Lastly, there's the small enjoyment of "People Watching" on this "Day's Out" activity.

Macattack

Of all the extras or options that we ordered on our rig,we like the washer and dryer the best, followed by the side by side refrigerator.We would not be without our W&D. One of the big things to us is, we know exactly whose and what articles have been in the washer and dryer.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have asked my wife more than once if she wants a washer/dryer and she has always said no. You know the old saying, "if momma doesn't want it, then I don't want it either" at least, when it comes to this. We usually wash once a week, and usually in the park's laundry room and it works for us.

Willym

Since I retired and we started going south for the winter we've had a washer/dryer in the rig. Even though we have more time on our hands now (at least in theory), <qtlend></qtlend>it's still too precious to spend in the launderette! We can do laundry during happy hour if we wish - taking care of two tasks at the same time!
<qtlbar id="qtlbar" dir="ltr" style="display: inline; text-align: left; line-height: 100%; padding: 0pt; background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236); -moz-border-radius: 3px 3px 3px 3px; cursor: pointer; z-index: 999; left: 1099px; top: 20px;">
copy.png
trans.png
<iframe id="qtlframe" src="" style="display: none; border: 1px solid rgb(236, 236, 236); background-color: white;"></iframe></qtlbar>