Very Affordable 15K Hitch...

I just switched from a bumper tow to 5er toyhauler and I found this 15K 5th Wheel Hitch with rails, hardware, Woodalls RV Owners handbook, Lube Plate, and includes shipping, all for $333.33 http://tweetys.com/reese-pro-hitch.aspx

This is the best price I could find for a 15K hitch anywhere, and it was on my front porch the very next day. I had the hitch installed a few days later and towed my new Cyclone 800 miles home and it worked just fine.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Congratulations on the great pricing. Just one word of caution. Make sure you don't exceed 15,000lbs GVW on the trailer (trailer and contents weight). If you were in an accident, insurance companies could hold it against you. Just my humble opinion and years of having a DW who is an insurance agent.

Congratulations on the great pricing. Just one word of caution. Make sure you don't exceed 15,000lbs GVW on the trailer (trailer and contents weight). If you were in an accident, insurance companies could hold it against you. Just my humble opinion and years of having a DW who is an insurance agent.

My Cyclone 2812 has a GVWR of 14K, so we should never get within 1,000lbs. of the max hitch weight, thanks for the heads up!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks for the headsup. I actually told a friend about this because they are about to purchase a new Sundance and will need a hitch. BTW, read all the description at Tweety's because this is NOT a REECE hitch.

"Note: This product is manufactured in China by cequent towing products, which is the parent company of Reese. The hitch does not say Reese anywhere on it. It is a very good hitch that has been very reliable."

When I Googled CeQuent I found that they own just about everything related to hitches.

Even with this info I still think this a a good deal and so does my friend.

Mark

Rickhansen

Tweety's also has the same "no brand" in a 20k model for $599.

Sandpirate, Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was the installation? If not, can you give a ballpark you paid for installation?

I'm in the market for a hitch myself, but need to do some research. I just purchased a 2011 GMC, and their application guide only indicates through 2010's for GMC's. I'd like to assume it will fit (with the Universal kit) a 2011, but would like to verify.

Thanks in advance

I paid about $250 for the install because my 97' has a rear tank and I heard it was a real bear to install. The installer told me that some of the new trucks have the bolts already installed for the hitch/rails...your truck might be one of those that will be an easy install.

Tweety's also has the same "no brand" in a 20k model for $599.

Sandpirate, Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was the installation? If not, can you give a ballpark you paid for installation?

I'm in the market for a hitch myself, but need to do some research. I just purchased a 2011 GMC, and their application guide only indicates through 2010's for GMC's. I'd like to assume it will fit (with the Universal kit) a 2011, but would like to verify.

Thanks in advance

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have that same hitch with about 12,000 miles on it. The one thing you must do is grease the 1/2" slide contact bar of the hitch itself as it will wear from contacing the hitch pin. (greasing the pin shaft will work too)

porthole

Retired
Congratulations on the great pricing. Just one word of caution. Make sure you don't exceed 15,lbs GVW on the trailer (trailer and contents weight). If you were in an accident, insurance companies could hold it against you. Just my humble opinion and years of having a DE who is an insurance agent.

And just how much does that new Landmark weigh????

delrkn

We recently purchased a Sundance XLT 265RK and plan to tow it with 2011 F250 with short bed. I am considering this same 15K hitch. I am not concerned about the capacity, but would like opinion as to whether I need a slider hitch instead. Sundance brags about 88 degree turning with short bed truck. In my 30 years of conventional trailer towing I do not recall ever being in a full 90 degree turn situation.

I see many posters with short bed trucks. Are you all using sliding hitches?

Thanks,
Dan

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The Fords have the longest short beds around @ 6'-9" so you should be ok, I have never had any issues with mine. Our Dodge short bed is only 5'-7", some are 6'-3".

porthole

Retired
I think I will stick to American made hitches; at least we still have a choice with that.

I see many posters with short bed trucks. Are you all using sliding hitches?

You should get plenty of response form that.

Short bed truck with the 88 degree conventional 5th trailers you should be fine.
Those with toy haulers need to consider that toy haulers are 5" wider.

That means 2.5 less inches of clearance on turns.

With either you have to consider your situation.
For me - I set my truck up and bought the hitch before we picked a trailer, so I have an auto slide hitch, 18K Pull Rite and I think it is the best slide hitch on the market.

But – if I had a regular 5th wheel, even a Heartland with the 88 claim, I would still opt for the slide. For me it is a matter of backing into my driveway.
On flat ground you may have a full 88 degrees to play with. Start backing that trailer up a steep driveway on an angle (coming in from the street) and your 88 degree clearance quickly diminishes at the top of the cab. Especially when your trailer is on the driveway slope and the truck is still on the level street.

Most people will never come close to 88 degrees though. If you had one of the “short” short beds (less then 6.5’) then you would still need a slider.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a short bed GMC. No slider. In over three years towing a Bighorn I have never had a need for a one. Might happen some day, but not yet.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I guess we should add a disclaimer here, I don't think there are any pickups made right now that could actually get a trailer into a 88 degree turn without backing/jack knifing the trailer.

So you really can only get yourself into trouble, it won't just "happen"

jpajax

I have used a similar hitch like yours it was a Litl Rocker by RBW it is rated 16k. It worked ok the only problem I had was it was a little hard to unhook when truck was not level. I real like the slide bar that locks behind pin. If you paint the bar a bright Orange you can see that it is locked. The other thing that you will have too watch is if it has the levers that says swivel or none swivel they must be in the swivel position or it will put the pin box in a bind and put strain on camper frame.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have used a similar hitch like yours it was a Litl Rocker by RBW it is rated 16k. It worked ok the only problem I had was it was a little hard to unhook when truck was not level. I real like the slide bar that locks behind pin. If you paint the bar a bright Orange you can see that it is locked. The other thing that you will have too watch is if it has the levers that says swivel or none swivel they must be in the swivel position or it will put the pin box in a bind and put strain on camper frame.

Good idea painting the hitch slide bar orange! rep points

Rickhansen

Just an update. I ended up with a Curt 20k (no Slider) and the installation brackets for the new 2011 Duramax for about $700. I went this route, as the only brackets available for the hitch described in this thread were the "Universal" kit.

I installed the Curt hitch myself. While not a technically challenging install (especially with the truck specific bracket kit), it still may have been worth $250 to let someone do it. I must have made 40 trips under the truck and back. Several of the nuts and bolts were quite tricky to get to. It took the better part of the day. I had some "finish" work to do the next morning to cut my drop in bedliner and reinstall.