Elkridge vs North Trail and what does "lite" really mean?

We really like the Heartland products and that will be what we purchase. But we are not clear on what the difference is between a "lite" 5th wheel. What's missing to make it a lighter unit?

We really like the the North Trail and the Elkridge. What's the biggest difference between these 2?

We live in Colorado and do plenty of wintertime camping. There's 2 of us and our yellow lab, so we are looking for a 5th wheel under 30'.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

goodtruck

The NT is a lot lighter then the ER I don't know where they cut the weight but the specs show it to be at least 3000 lbs lighter.My wife and I bought our Eagle Ridge over a year ago (thats why it is a Eagle Ridge and not a Elk Ridge) and just love it. It tows easy with our 3/4 ton dodge.We have the 34QRSL and there is plenty of room for the two of us and 4 Chi's.We live in Tx and our winters are not what you get so I would suggest that what ever unit you get get the double pain windows.It is the only thing that we did not get and wish we had.They will help in both the summer and winter.Hope this helps.

2010augusta

the elk ridge is a full-profile trailer and the north trail is a mid-profile, so the elk ridge will be 1-2' taller.

Thanks, this does help. Since we are wintertime campers, I'm curious is some of the weight was reduced by insulation reduction. I submitted a question to Heartland and will post what they reply with too.

B

bwwalczak

Lets talk about the key differences

1 - ElkRidge 27RLSS is 29'11", dry weight 8,432, high (full) profile
North Trail 27RL is 30'5", dry weight 7,180lbs, lower profile
The Elkridge is taller, and built with standard wood construction vs the light weight roof and floors. ElkRidge is a traditional build.

2 - ElkRidge does not have the step up in the bedroom - more room, plus a taller bathroom / bedroom roof.

3 - ElkRidge has heavy duty axles - 6,000lbs rated vs 5,200 rated.

4 - ElkRidge has taller slide room height - 6'5" vs 5'10" on lower profile trailers

5 - Cherry wood is standard in ElkRidge

Both are great trailers, however it depends on what your personal needs are. ElkRidge comes standard with 32" HDTV, free standing table and chairs, leather recliners, air bed sofa, and MANY more key features.

I hope that our representatives got with you on more specific information.

We are proud of the ElkRidge product - the finest 5th wheel built in Elkhart county Indiana (home of all full profile 5ths).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a NT trailer, and upgraded to the Elk Ridge. Both are excellent quality Heartland Products. My thought would be there are more bells and whistles in the Elk Ridge Line, which you will appreciate more over time. (instead of saying, gee I wish it had...) We have camped in New Mexico in winter months (skiing). The Elk Riidge performed very well, and I would also recommend the double-pane windows.

Make sure your truck can handle it tho, do not buy too much trailer or you will be buying a new tow vehicle soon after!

TT