Wheel grease.

brains77396

I know that by pulling the wheel center caps off. it exposes the Zerk fitting for the bearings. My question is, "Will regular wheel bearing grease work or is there a special kind of grease needed? On my boat trailer I would always give each side one pump each before taking it on the road. Many years ago when I was a kid, grease was grease, which doesn't seem to apply there days. Just don't want to mix apples and oranges here. Tanks.

caissiel

I would not just give it a pump, I would always grease it the proper way in order not to blow the seal. This subject has been discussed in many Threads.

brains77396

If I can't just put my grease gun on the Zerk fitting and give it a pump, why is it even there? I would also assume that that would also disqualify Heartlands claim of having E-Z Lube bearings. What I have looks just like a boat wheel with the Buddy Bearings.

I would not just give it a pump, I would always grease it the proper way in order not to blow the seal. This subject has been discussed in many Threads.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
brains77396, E-Z lube sounds a whole lot easier than pulling the bearings and hand packing. Maybe you misunderstood Bob when he said "rotate the wheels". He meant that you need to have the wheel turning when pumping the grease in.
As far as boat greasing trailer bearings and RV bearings, on the boat trailer you probably don't have to worry about blowing out a seal and contaminating your brake shoes.

Peace
Dave