Generator install

hoefler

I have an 06 Lanmark Mt. Rushmore. I acquired a 4K Onan generator. Could you please list the items and modifications that are needed to a proper install?

Thanks, Ed

tcbrady

Was your unit built with a “Generator Prep’ option?
Below is a few (not all) of the components for a generator.
LP Generator
Transfer switch
Remote start
LP supply line
Generator pan cut out
Generator riser bracket
Galvanized box
This is something that a qualified service center should do. Let me know if there is any other info we can provide.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
The other thing you should consider as I did. If somehting goes wrong and you installed it, you self insure. I had cumminis install mine in my other 5 er (SOB). Worked right of the start.

2010augusta

Below is a few (not all) of the components for a generator.
LP Generator
Transfer switch
Remote start
LP supply line
Generator pan cut out
Generator riser bracket
Galvanized box
This is something that a qualified service center should do. Let me know if there is any other info we can provide.

don't forget an exhaust system for the generator
all the wiring for the remote start switch and the heavy gauge wiring from the generator to the auto-transfer switch.

Northern Virginia
You don't say what type of Onan you acquired (gasoline or propane and voltage) and I am assuming it is an RV type Onan. I installed my own gasoline 6500 watt Onan and this is a list of what I needed. I already had the generator prep which made it a lot easier.

• 3/8 fuel line and quick connects
  • Fuel tanks
  • exhaust pipe (I had an electrician friend bend it on his bender)
  • muffler, clamps and brackets
  • #8 wire from generator to a junction box outside of the generator box.
  • Steel strut to modify the factory mounting bracket
  • Control wire for the remote panel
  • Mounting bolts (3/8, 16 hex head bolts, nuts and washers)
  • The steel plate under my generator enclosure had to be cut for the supply and return air openings and exhaust pipe. I used a plasma cutter that made it really easy. You could also use a jig saw or Sawzall.
  • You will also need #6 wire to run from the junction box outside the generator compartment to either a transfer switch or NEMA 14-50R receptacle that is close enough to you power cord so that you can plug the RV cord into it. This would eliminate the need for a transfer switch and make things a lot easier.
  • #2 AWG battery cables (and lugs) long enough to reach directly to you batteries
I am sure there are a few more things I am forgetting but this is a good starting list.

Good luck,
John

2010augusta

one more comment concerning the auto transfer switch. We have only used our generator a few times, mostly in rest areas and wallydocking, but one of the "best" uses was traveling in Texas during the summer, about 2 hours before we would arrive at a campground I would pull over and start the generator and turn on both A/C's so when we set-up the trailer it would be pre-cooled and not 99* inside.

Maybe running the generator while in motion is questionable, but we would do it in the old Class A a lot.

It would be hard to have an "in-motion Generator without the ATS.

hoefler

It is a gasoline Rv unit. I have seen new units with the Gen prep, The big thing I notice besides the wiring and control pane, is they have a wall between the front compartment and the basement area. How necessary is the wall?