How Tall Am I Really

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Getting ready for a lengthy trip and we will be traveling some back roads, so I was thinking about overpasses and what my clearance is. The brochure states that the height of the NT 21fbs is 9'10", so does that mean I can go under a bridge or overpass that is 9'11"?
Or does that mean I will have to go back and pick up my A/C unit.:eek: In other words, is that the height from the highest point (top of A/C) to the road? or do I need to add another 14" to allow for the A/C making it 12' overall?
Hope everyone is enjoying the Labor Day Week-end... football and all!
Thanks

Bret

porthole

Retired
Your overall height should include the AC unit - BUT - it really is up to you to verify the height.

And I would highly recommend you don't go under a 9'11" marked bridge with a 9'10" trailer without going very slow and with a lookout.

I can tell you several stories just in the town I work in. And one of the biggest issues is bridges usually don't get remeasured after the road has been repaved!

My trailer is 13' even and I use 13'2" for my height as a guide.

goodtruck

The safest way to know is to get on top of your trl with a tape measure and find out for your self the height.One other thing to think about is the suspension and what the travel is.then add that to the height of the trl.This will give you total height so if you hit a bump under a overpass you are still safe.

branson4020

Icantre Member
If the "posted" height leaves me less than 6" clearance, then I'm getting out and checking visually. How much do YOU want to trust the accuracy of those posted clearances? Do ya feel lucky?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Points well taken, thanks. I think I will jump up on top tomorrow and measure it myself then add 6" for a comfort zone.
I am curious if there are any DOT specifications that have minimum requirements and if it adopted nationwide like building codes.
Thanks Again for the advice.
Bret

hoefler

Better measure hooked up and ready to go, air bags inflated, and all. The hieght given is set up and level. Minimum overpass height is 14' with out special markings and warnings, max load height with out special permits is 13'6".

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have gone down a road, normally near citys, and they have a sign that says 12'-6" clearance. Then a semi goes by me and under the railroad track bridge. The point they are telling you about is the lowest part of the bridge and it is at this bridge on the far right side. Going under in the middle of the road the trucks would clear. I normally watch to see if any Semi's are able to clear under the overpass.

Here is a web site that may help you. America's Independent Truckers' Association, Inc. Clearance listing.

BC

porthole

Retired
In New Jersey on the northern end of the Garden State Parkeway there are several arch bridges. Clearance on the shoulder is as low as 12'.
NY state has many arched bridges too

http://www.11foot8.com/

Last edited: