trailer brake controller adjustment procedure

Rocky

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with an integrated brake controller. The controller manual for the adjustment states to pull the trailer between 20-25 mph and apply the Manual Trailer Brake lever, adjusting the trailer gain just below the point of the trailer wheel lock-up. It then reads “Trailer wheel lock-up may not occur if towing a heavily loaded trailer. In this case, adjust the Trailer Gain to the highest allowable setting for the towing condition.” What does "highest allowable setting for the towing condition" mean. I Have a Greystone 29MK, weighing about 9,000#, and wonder if the trailer brakes will lock-up or is it too heavy and if not, how to adjust the controller.

DW_Gray

That's a good question but I'm not sure there is a right answer. I don't have an integrated brake controller so hopefully someone here can help you better than I. I suppose each person may have a slightly different answer. I was first told to adjust the trailer brakes to brake before the truck brakes. After nearly 14K miles of towing I found what was comfortable for me. And that's my point. You will need to play around with different adjustments until you find what you'll feel comfortable with.

For me, I adjust the controller till I feel trailer brakes kick in while the truck brake is partially depressed at about 15-20 mph, then I back off the controller adjustment just a smidgen. That has worked well for me and especially on a few unexpected stops. One of which was on a downhill slope when a cop pulled out in front of me when I got the green light. Personally, I don't want trailer lock-up to occur until I'm really pressing hard on the truck brake.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I had an 09 GMC with the integrated controller. The way the manual tells you to adjust the brake setting is vague enough to where you cant blame them on any problem that might happen.

I use pretty much the same method Dave uses except I dont want ANY lock up at all. Once the brakes lock up the braking action-or the brakes ability to slow you down- is gone.

So it does require a little playing around, but after a while you find the spot that is comfortable for you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with an integrated brake controller. The controller manual for the adjustment states to pull the trailer between 20-25 mph and apply the Manual Trailer Brake lever, adjusting the trailer gain just below the point of the trailer wheel lock-up. It then reads “Trailer wheel lock-up may not occur if towing a heavily loaded trailer. In this case, adjust the Trailer Gain to the highest allowable setting for the towing condition.” What does "highest allowable setting for the towing condition" mean. I Have a Greystone 29MK, weighing about 9,000#, and wonder if the trailer brakes will lock-up or is it too heavy and if not, how to adjust the controller.

Think less than perfect road conditions, like wet or icy pavement. You don't want the brakes grabbing on that, so you might have to adjust the gain differently from what you used for dry pavement.