Range Top Glass Shattered

VMS

Hi Everyone

Had an interesting thing happen this evening....

After boiling 4 cobs of corn, I was letting the water in the pot just sit on the stove until we cleaned up. Came back about an hour or so later and the stove top glass was shattered....

Anyone ever have this happen before? We've barely used the stove and have had our 265RK for just over a year now.

Very weird for the stovetop glass to shatter...

Also, what can I do to prevent the glass from going all over the floor when we travel home? The top is still in tact, but not sure if it is safety glass like a care windshield...

Thanks everyone...

Steve

2010augusta

I thought the glass top was just a work surface, and needed to be removed to use the burners, maybe you range is different, but the pictures of the current sundances show a 3 burner top with a wire cooking surface.

VMS

Hiya,

On mine there all the knobs were installed above the glass top, and the glass top has been secured to the surface with silicone. All of the diagrams for what knob goes with what burner were under that glass to see (black surface, white diagrams). The burners themselves are above and secured, and the glass runs under them as well for a nice finished look.

This has me puzzled since I have not dropped anything on the glass top either, although my wife spotted where she believes the shattering started from.

Wierd...just wierd...

Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like you should make direct contact with the supplier of the stove. Just out of curiousity, what is the model/brand of that stove?

Rrloren

If the glass was badly scratched it could have caused a failure. Scratches cause stress to build and heat can cause a failure.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are your appliances the glass with 3-burner stovetop and 1/2 time oven combo? If so, the stovetop and half-time oven controls are one unit. I would call Apollo, it may have more than the 1 yr warranty.

VMS

Yep....1/2 time oven combo. I will call them after labor day since I would assume they are closed tomorrow.

Steve

VMS

Just my Luck....Warranty: 1 year. I purchased in Early August of Last year...

And...to top it off, my furnace will no longer turn on...

Oh what a wonderful weekend it has been...

goodtruck

I would use tape on the glass while you are traveling that way it will hold the glass till you can get it fixed.