Care to share your average towing speed?

mountain1

I think Heartland should publizes this list a lot to new owners. If I had read a lot of these old posts prior to buying my Razor or very shortly after I would have been a lot better off and had less frustration. I am still trying to learn but there is a wealth of knowledge buried in these old posts.

I am still trying to figure out the suspension issue on the Heartland 5th wheelers but as near as I can tell my after two years are doing well.

It does seem many of you have gone to other suspensions for better rides and control.

Does anyone care to share the average speed the drive their 5th wheels?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: Required reading

I think Heartland should publizes this list a lot to new owners. If I had read a lot of these old posts prior to buying my Razor or very shortly after I would have been a lot better off and had less frustration. I am still trying to learn but there is a wealth of knowledge buried in these old posts.

I am still trying to figure out the suspension issue on the Heartland 5th wheelers but as near as I can tell my after two years are doing well.

It does seem many of you have gone to other suspensions for better rides and control.

Of course this all depends on road conditions,and the speed limit, but my Goodyears are rated at 65 mph and I try not to exceed that rating.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We keep our rig at 55...saves on fuel and nerves. We will get up to 60, but only on a two lane road with 65 mph speed limit, and we pull over at every opportunity for others to pass. We have "55mph Max" in large letters on the back of fiver so those approaching can prepare to pass in the passing lane...so far, works for us, and has kept our marriage intact...LOL!!

mlburst1

We travel at 60 - 65 depending on the weather and traffic.

Our TV doesn't even know that it's back there!

bighorn3370

I also keep it about 65. I have hit 70 passing or going down hill. The tires are only rated to go 65. Ernie

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Between 62 and 65 depending. The OL' Chebby seems to like 68.....but alas....the tires are only good to 65.

loafer

60 to 65 mph depending on road conditions etc
excessive speed and the heat generated kills tires fast.
Stay safe speed kills people too
My .02 cents worth
Bill

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

I run about 64-65 on the interstate. On hills I will let the truck fall down the hill but dont exceed 70.

In town I actually drive about 5mph below the speed limit. Never know when someone wants to pull out in front of you so they dont have to be stuck behind a trailer.

WilmanJim

When we first retired and went full timing we were still in the Hurry up and get there mode. It took a while to slow down but now after 7 years if we go over 60 it's White knuckle time. :rolleyes:
Our truck runs great at 2000 rpm which is 60 mph. 60 and under we average around 9-11 mpg over 60 we average around 8-9 mpg. We are usually only on the road from 9-10 am to 3-4 pm and stop every couple hours. That way we don't give things time to heat up. :D

Jim and Wilma

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Depending on traffic, road and weather condition, I try to stay at 65 or less on the highways and in town never over the speed limit, usually a bit less. I have to admit though, on the main roads I have to be careful. BART really likes to run 70. If I'm not paying attention to my speed, he'll begin to sneak up and hover around 70. I have to keep tabs on that.

Now that I have a TPMS, it's nice to be able to watch the tire pressures and temperatures as conditions change. Speed, weather, type of road surface and the sun, all have an effect on the tires temperature. I think I have to recode one sensor though. After a while it shows an alert but the pressure and temp are both within my range settings. I've checked with a gage and everything is good but I still get a warning beep & light.

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Our speed is usually 55 - 60 mph.

mountain1

Thank you so much. I followed my friend in his motor home at 80 and was really stressed. Made him promise never over 64-65 max. but that seems to be slow for motor homes but driving that speed really makes life more enjoyable.

wdk450

California Maximum Speed Limit for vehicles towing other vehicles (including Class A towing Toads) is 55 MPH. There are LOTS of signs on the highways announcing this law. I often see boat owners pulled over getting citiations which I am assuming is for this. I use my cruise control as much as I can to keep things steady and legal. We do most of our RVing in California.

2010augusta

California Maximum Speed Limit for vehicles towing other vehicles (including Class A towing Toads) is 55 MPH. There are LOTS of signs on the highways announcing this law. I often see boat owners pulled over getting citiations which I am assuming is for this. I use my cruise control as much as I can to keep things steady and legal. We do most of our RVing in California.

I don't understand this law at all. Knowing CA is so emissions concerned, it is probably a smog/CARB issue, but on all of towing done with the 450, Our worst fuel mileage occurred in CA driving at 55. the 450 makes much better fuel economy right around 65, so that is what we try to drive.