Real a/c problem

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
GUYS;

I got to campground last Friday about 5 pm. Hooked up surge protector/power guard waited for it to check power. Everything checks, plug up house power.. go into unit and hear a/c compressor running, only I haven't turned it on yet. I switch on a/c and set temp, fan works and it cools. turn it off and compressor still running. I had to cut it off at circuit breaker. Took cover off thermostat, looked at wires, thinking it might have a short. No good. If I set thermostat all way down it will run and blow correctly. If I set it anywhere normal, when it reaches correct temp blower off/ compressor running. I know there has to be someone who has had this happen before. Just got back from nice weekend trip, and have to get it fixed before next rally. Can't believe it's good to run compressor without cooling fans/blower.

dennis2188

Had this problem this weekend. Had to replace thermostat, then everything ran normal. I am sure someone smarter than I am can explain this, it has something to do with the wire on the cool terminal. I ended up doing the thermostat modification by adding a hunter thermostat which was on this forum.

MICKEY

I took my 5er to have slide toppers installed at a facility suggested by Carefree, and mentioned to the tech that I had problem with A/C compressor running while not being turned on. He, like everyone else I talked to said it would be relay in ceiling unit. Since they were a Dometic service center I asked them to repair. After all kinds of swapping of parts, all kinds of head scratching with yellow wire from both ends disconnected, compressor still ran. We finally found problem in the wires just behind thermostat. When outer insulation was cut off wires, all wires were nicked with knife blade. They also changed one wire (yellow) with unused (orange) and so far it has cured problem. It cost me $125 because they stated Dometic would not cover wiring problem from HL factory. This was not HL dealer. Wouldn't have had them look at it but local HL dealer couldnt work me in reasonalble time and we all thought it was a Dometic problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mickey, did you call HL and get an OK to have this place repair the A/C?. If not...you should have. HL would have helped you with the cost or maybe all of it. If any thing goes wrong...call HL 1st before you do anything.

MICKEY

BOB AND PATTY;
I agree. However it wasn't supposed to be the problem. Techs were thrashing to find problem. It ws going to be out of Dometics pocket. Then I last few minutes game changed. Lifes a.....well you know.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Isn't your BH still in warranty?? Someone else should be giving your money back. I think I would be on the phone to someone asking questions.