Heating Duct Unexpected and Expected

The unexpected:

The wife was standing at the kitchen sink looking down at the heating duct register and noticed some debris. I unscrewed the register and was able to scoop up about one cup of sawdust, wood chips, and what I assume was aluminum particles. I wasn't able to get all of it by hand so I got out the shop vac, removed the other three registers and vacuumed as far as the hose would reach between each register. The hose length was shorter than half the distance between the registers, so I doubt I was able to get it all. What I did get was about a quart of debris.

The expected:

I turned on the furnace for the first time, and it set off the smoke detector until the furnace "burned in". I also saw debris blowing out the registers which was probably what I wasn't able to vacuum out.

Does the factory dump or leave debris in the heating duct as a joke, expecting the dealer or me to find it and clean it out, or is it a QC problem?

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    572.7 KB · Views: 54

beardedone

Beardedone
It's a free gift. Every trailer I have had was like this. Manufacturers save money by not cleaning it out and there are probably employees who are careless or don''t really care about it. By the way you will continue to get sawdust in numerous areas of the trailer because as you go bouncing down the road the loose stuff on the saw cuts will fall off.

Jellystone

Look on the bright side, at least you have an early start on your wood pile for the fall campfires. Heartland QC is just helping you plan ahead for the cold weather camping season.

All jokes aside, that is pretty bad. Maybe one of the Heartland factory guys/gals will read your post and add this to their final rollout checklist. I can understand a little debris shaken loose on the first drive after leaving the factory, but that is kind of excessive. Especially in the heater ducting. Let me see---small pieces of wood + heat = possible fire or burnoff. Yep, thats what my decipherin' says.