Flex in the Frame by Pin Box

MJordan

"PA n MA s"
Hello:
While I was in a campground in North Carolina, another Big Horn owner informed me about a Flex issue he had with his Big Horn. We both have 2006.
He said his frame was flexing in the Pin Box area more than 2 inches and was a dangerous situation.
Is this something I need to be concerned with? Will heartland correct this if there is a problem?
How do I determine if it is a problem with my Big Horn?

Last edited:

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
If you have flex in the area you will usually see it on the seams where the overhang joins to the sides or on another seam where materials come together. You probably would have noticed it by now if you had it. As to warranty, you are way over even the frame warranty by several years. As to the other owner, there is no way for you to tell if it was operator error or faulty welds. Not every issue with these RV's are caused by bad workmanship. Some are caused by ignorant owners.
If you have a problem, even out of warranty,it's been my experience that Heartland will help you get the proper information to have it repaired correctly, even if it's at your own expense.
Hope this helps...

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Michael,
The next time I am at the campground I will show you what to look for. I have some expereience here.

KL7j

Hello:
While I was in a campground in North Carolina, another Big Horn owner informed me about a Flex issue he had with his Big Horn. We both have 2006.
He said his frame was flexing in the Pin Box area more than 2 inches and was a dangerous situation.
Is this something I need to be concerned with? Will heartland correct this if there is a problem?
How do I determine if it is a problem with my Big Horn?

I was at Lippert recently having a brake issue addressed. While there, I was shown what can cause the 5th overhang to start to droop. The superstructure above the bottom edge beam becomes loose with screws backing out. The screws can be viewed by removing the edge trim. If no damage, retighten the screws and use some glue to prevent backing out. Screws backing can be seen in this photo of that unit under repair. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9986&stc=1&d=1284093159

A tip that this is occurring is the silcone seal along the bottom edge trim starts to tear away due to flexing and that rubbing from flexing can been seen with the trim removed. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9987&stc=1&d=1284093159

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Okay, next question. What causes the screws to loosen in the first place? What causes the frame to start flexing in the first place? If you can deal with the cause then you can eliminate the effects.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well, I tried the screw tighting...no help....drilled holes and installed "pop rivets"....no help. With the "pop rivets" making the side trim more secured, the gap when hooked up is worse. SO...is the frame cracking?? It's only on the right side. Making me nervous!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I was at Lippert recently having a brake issue addressed. While there, I was shown what can cause the 5th overhang to start to droop. The superstructure above the bottom edge beam becomes loose with screws backing out. The screws can be viewed by removing the edge trim. If no damage, retighten the screws and use some glue to prevent backing out. Screws backing can be seen in this photo of that unit under repair. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9986&stc=1&d=1284093159

A tip that this is occurring is the silcone seal along the bottom edge trim starts to tear away due to flexing and that rubbing from flexing can been seen with the trim removed. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9987&stc=1&d=1284093159

This is the most helpful photo I've seen yet. We have a small gap (1/8" - 3/16") in a short space on the Drivers side trim. We are going to take down the overhang material and check it out and this photo helps tremendously. When we talked to the factory this is what they told us to look for, but we were a little unclear as to how the structure was built. It makes perfect sense now. Note that the crack in the caulking on ours has not gotten any worse despite being towed over some horrible roads this summer and everything else looks sound. No evidence of flexing around the pin box or anywhere else.
Thanks for posting these pics!

Texans

We also have a 2006 Bighorn and in a campground in Kentucky this summer I noticed that the molding around the outer edge of the overhang was separating and from the curve to the bottom. The separation was more when hooked up for travel as you could see through the opening. I sent photos to Heartland and the camper is now at the manufacture being repaired.

Dave42

This was my complaint no. 10. Could easily see the sag at the radius of overhang. Compare off and on the truck. Heartland made Lippert repair my frame on '09, 3055 in fall of 2010. Coach was out of warranty but frame wasn't. They replaced about the forward 10 feet of fg after removing the bed slide. I don't know for sure what they did but it cost me $0. They had it for a week.
Dave

aatauses

We also had an issue on our 2010. I posted my concern on the forum and also sent several pictures to HL---they we GREAT on helping me understand what was going on and how it had to be corrected. I suggest you take some photos from all angles and give HL a call to discuss the issue. Again, mine was fairly new and HL treated us to great customer service.
al
currently in Kenai, ak

comptonj

We also had an issue on our 2010. I posted my concern on the forum and also sent several pictures to HL---they we GREAT on helping me understand what was going on and how it had to be corrected. I suggest you take some photos from all angles and give HL a call to discuss the issue. Again, mine was fairly new and HL treated us to great customer service.
al
currently in Kenai, ak

Recently had the same issue with the front of our 3055RL (it is a 2007), the front had started to drop and I didn't realize the severity of the situation until there was damage inside. Heartland was wonderful and made the repairs at their expense, the catch of course was that we had to get it Elkhart (after seeing what they did I understand it needed to be done at the factory). Heartland's alumninum frame had apparently broken (not the steel frame) and after having the trailer for four days the trailer looked like new.

wdk450

I haven't seen the cracking or separation in the fiberglass at areas others have, but I have cracking fiberglass at the trim surrounding the pinbox penetration into the overhang shell. The pinbox seems to go up into the fiberglass shell at least 2 inches when I hook up and raise the landing gear, and the bottom of the shell under the large overhang area droops down and seems heavy (water? - I pushed up on the droop and didn't hear any water noises or see any leaking).

I sent Heartland Service an unanswered e-mail 2 days ago, and plan to call them now.

Advice, please!!

danemayer

The pinbox seems to go up into the fiberglass shell at least 2 inches when I hook up and raise the landing gear
Can you post pictures that show the before and after. If you can put the camera on a tripod, that would make it very easy to see what's going on.