Where to Stay around Savannah GA

vangoes

We are thinking about visiting the Savannah Ga area and would appreciate any advice as to campgrounds and to recommending things to do. We are open to suggestions for the area from Savannah GA north into SC.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were going to Savannah last year with some friends and were having a hard time finding a place in Savannah. We ended up not going but our friends went and stay on Tybee Island, Ga @ River's end campground. Said it was fine and would stay there again.

cjhicks

We stayed at Skidaway Island State Park last year and would go back again. It is about 12 miles to downtown Savannah.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We stayed at Skidaway Island State Park also. It is a beautiful park. Full canopy so you can't get Satellite TV. WiFi is not good but you can sit outside the office and use it any time you want. I would go back and stay there.
DSC_0063M.jpg

Jekyll Island is nice also lots of trees but you better have a reservation. We could only get two days during the week. It was filled for the weekend.

DSC_1326M.jpg

When we left Jekyll Island and stayed at Blyth Island. Long sites but in a lot of trees. No problem getting in or out.

DSC_1462M.jpg

I never stayed at Tybee Island but I hear it is a nice place to stay.

My preference is Skidaway Island.

BC

Tom of Ypsi

We stayed at Hardeeville Rv, SC A no frills park at around $21 and close to Savannah and all of the other attractions. Owners are great. I asked if it was ok to wash my truck and trailer and he said he would rather see a clean truck/trailer leaving his park than a dirty one. Sites are mostly level, shaded but not enough to block sat dish. If we ever go back to that area that is where we will stay.

djs523

The KOA in Richmond Hill is pretty nice. Located close to I-95, easy in an out. Located on a couple small lakes. This place gets a lot of turnover as folks travel north to south and vice versa in the spring and fall.

Tybee campground is fair. It is owned by the city and they do a good job, just not much improvements there.

Elevatorman

We will be stopping for a one night on the way to Disney next month at Savannah RV Resort @ Red Gate Plantation, (http://www.savannahredgaterv.blogspot.com/), just to check out the place, then after Disney a couple of days wind down at Jekyll Island, (http://www.jekyllisland.com/Visit/WheretoStay/campground.aspx). You will probably find most of the campgrounds around Savannah to be good places to stay for day excursions. Savannah is a great place to explore, and don't forget to eat at Paula Dean's restaurant, if you can get in! (http://www.ladyandsons.com/).

Christytra

River's End Campground is, probably, closest and easiest drive to the Savannah area you want to visit. It is out on Tybee Island. It is an easy bike ride or walk to the lighthouse and beach. The campground has made some improvements. Some sites have been spread out alittle. Electrical connections have also seen improvements. When we were there in May, the bathroom situation was still the worst I have ever seen. There are several rooms that contain a sink, toilet, and shower. Maybe 10 or 12 of these rooms serve the entire campground. The rooms are in a raised building and years of "smell" has accumulated under the damp floors. Also, if you are tent camping or have a unit with no bathroom, you are forced to wait to use a toilet while the rooms are occupied with people showering. Security was excellent. The campground is fairly quiet. We usually see many children but they are always well behaved. Despite the bathrooms, we still return each year.

Skidaway Island State Park is further south. It is coastal but doesn't have a beach. The campground is very shaded. Most sites are a pretty good distance from neighbors. You won't have cable or full hookups at Skidaway. Bathrooms are typical GA State Park (older, clean, good hot water...).

Both campgrounds are about the same distance from Savannah but I like the bike riding access to the small town of Tybee, the beach, and the drive in from Tybee much better than Skidaway.