Greystone Tire Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheitman

I weighed my rig today so that I could determine the load on each tire of the trailer. Here is a picturer of the weight distributions; on one side, on one axel and on individual tires:

5th wheel weights.JPG

I find this data very interesting. For instance the truck weighs 500 lbs more on the drivers side. I guess the fuel tank and much of the transmission are on that side of the centerline. The trailer has about 700 pounds more on the drivers side, again more than I would have dreamed. Perhaps the bedroom slider contributes. The driver side, rear tire is loaded almost 700 lbs more than the passenger side rear tire.

My Greystone 32RE, has PowerKing TowMax STR tires, ST235/80R16, which I've sure heard a ton of bad press concerning... I wish I had ordered my unit from the factory and selected the optional Goodyear tires, instead of buying off the lot. I never knew that questionable tires were the standard issue.

Anyway, my question for the factory is, how much pressure would you recommend that I put in each tire given this load distribution? For normal vehicles, one would use the Load/Inflation table for the tire, add 400 lbs of margin and then look up, and use, the next highest load related pressure in the table. But it seems that many 5th wheel owners just use the maximum tire pressure listed on the side wall label. This seems like overpressure to me which could effect wear and braking performance. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Whatever pressure you decide use the same pressure on both tires (left and right side) on the same axle. In other words 80 psi on both tires on the front axle NOT 80 on one side and 70 on the other. This info comes from the tire experts I have talked to.

jimtoo

jheitman, you have posted this question in another location. No need to start another.

This thread is closed.

Jim M

Status
Not open for further replies.