jacks under slide

angel

i have a sundance 3100es and was wondering if anyone place jacks under the slides when extended in the out position to keep the slide from saging thanks Angelo

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
IMHO, I would not put anything under the slides. It might cause more damage than good.

hoefler

I use a pair to stabilize the side to side rock. Makes a big difference in a windy spot. You do not want to apply no more pressure than to keep in place, do not raise the slide.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Never placed any jacks under a slide. Slides don't move, but I have the entire trailer stabilized.

If a tire developed an air leak and went flat or your jacks sank down in soft ground, what would that do to your slide? I think if Heartland thought it was necessary to use jacks under a slide they would have provided jacks or at least informed us that we might need one.

That is my thoughts.
BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think you need to ask Heartland...most manufacturer's will tell you, you should NEVER put anything under the slides. They are made to handle the weight they carry, and if for some reason the unit should drop or move you can cause severe damage to the slideout mechanism...JMHO!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I guess the obvious question would be, 'if they are bad for the slide then why do they sell them?'. I think the answer would be because they can and some people would buy them. I don't use them for the reason KaKampers and TxBobcat said.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, my answer to that question is ....to make money. Why else. Now if the coach was in a permanet setting ...frame blocked and no way of settling then maybe it would be a good idea.

angel

Thanks guys I was just wondering if other camper did or didn't someone said to me about the deep slide might sage after a few years

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our's sit extended out all summer on a seasonal site and there's been no sagging. Granted it's only been two season, so far, but unless you do like Bob says and put the rig up on blocks (and listen to banjo/fiddle music all day), they're just another cash cow accessory you've got to store someplace. And where, on the plywood underlayment, do they suggest you put them?

Dave012

When they first started putting in slides years ago there probably were sagging issues, but I wouldn't worry about it on these trailers.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The dude next to me has a toy hauler SOB and has stands under his slide. I talked to him about it and he said they are not tight but just snug. He is a retired fireman and he likened it to outriggers on a ladder truck. He said if he gets in high winds he shouldn't roll over. He said he only sets them up if he is staying in a sight for more than 2 days. They are full timers.

LongIslandTodd

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I have a 3100ES and I do not use them don,t see the need the slides are very stable and we stay on the same site all year with no problem.

hankaye

Howdy all;

Why do some men wear both a belt and suspenders????? They feel more comfortable??????

cuz they can?????

Same basic thoughts.....

hankaye

Dave49

I built my own jacks for the slides. Used them one season and decided there was no real need for them. They are nice ornaments now lol......just don't know where to show them off at :)

lwmcguir

If you have a tire go flat or a hydraulic leak you will be quite surprised and disappointed with your jacks.

Stinger381

I have a set from the old camper that I used but now the Sundance has 3 slides so which one gets the stabilizers ?? I only use them to help stabilize if I feel like camper is moving about a lot .

rick_debbie_gallant

IMHO about the only thing I would support my slides with would be a couple of balloons. :angel: That way if things went south the balloons would break to let me know I had a problem. However because balloons leak I would probably use some 1/8 inch dowels in each corner. They would tell me if tires were going flat or sinking in the mud. :cool:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I just purchased a new 3200RE. When the dealer was giving me the walk through I specifically ask about slide jacks. The reply was don't ever put anything under your slides; the slides are designed to support themselves. After reading some of the other posts I'm thinking well duh! LOL, but, what if you do have a flat. I never thought of this but as soon as I read the first reply I was thinking. It would be a bad day and I'm glad I read this.

MC9

The guy behind me put jacks under all his slides on his Titanium. I noticed his slideouts didn't slope away from the rig but, it doesn't rain much around here in AZ. It wouldn't matter if I got a flat or not, when parked my weight isn't on my tires.