Clearance problems with Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box?

Boca_Shuffles

I have a 2008 GMC long box dually with a Reese 16 K hitch. TrailAir Service Center just did a great job of installing a Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box on my 2010 BH3055RL.

With the new pin box, I only have about 1/2 to 1 inch clearance between the back of the pin box and the side rail of my GMC when I am making a 45 degree turn. Since the Tri Glide is designed to reduce chucking by moving forward and BACK, will this be a problem when I make 45 degree turns in traffic lanes (i.e. with a little speed)?

Have you had to modify the back of your pin box to compensate for this?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Tom - we had the same concerns and had to reconfigure the height of the Reece hitch. One of the things that I had to make sure of was the clearance between the 5th wheel and the top of the bed rail when it is inflated. This should be at least 7 inches but 7 1/2 would be better. In our case with the TrailAire being bigger than the standard kingpin, we had to lower the Reece hitch to make the proper distance and still have the rig travel level. After working to get everything level, we now do not have a problem getting the rig in, or out of our driveway at about a 60-70 degree turn up a little hill. hope this helps

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I also have the same problem. My truck is older but I have rails on the bed for my tonneau cover that get in the way on tight turns. I have trimmed the rear of the pin box and that solved the problem until I added the tri-glide. The problem has returned. I could raise the hitch but then the trailer would be too high in the nose. I have just resolved to be cautious when making tight maneuvers. The before picture is of a neighbors pin box showing the "cut line" The other is of my pin box after the cut. I felt it didn't remove any structural integrity.

Attachments

• Copy of before1 cut line.jpg
    Copy of before1 cut line.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Copy of after2.JPG
    Copy of after2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 83

Boca_Shuffles

Thanks for the pictures.

I talked to TrailAir and they confirmed that the L05 was the correct pin for the GMC. They have a shorter pin, but it is 6" shorter and does not perform as well as the longer unit.

The tech was of the opinion that the cross bar across the rear of the pin box was there only for mounting the electrical box and the VIN plate. It could be removed without decreasing the structural integrity of the hitch.

I am in the process of trimming the back of the box very similar to what was done in the pictures. I will provide before and after pictures when completed.

Last edited:

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Say, I'm really sorry to hear of your problems with your Tri-Glide. I don't have that problem at all. Here's my thing: I have an '04 Dodge 3500 dually and in '04 had a B&W Turnover ball and companion hitch installed. In '08 I ordered our BH 3400RE and the Trail Air pin box. This spring I had the Tri Glide lower arm installed. I asked the mechanic who did the work for both installations if he had to raise or lower anything and he said that he did not. Both the TV and the 5er are level while towing and I really don't have any clearance issues at any time and I'm a little bit puzzled as to why you are having these issues. Is the cargo box on your TV higher? I think the boxes on Fords are taller but not sure.

Boca_Shuffles

I was told that GM raised the bed of the truck and made it narrower the 2006-2008 time-frame. The total capacity remained the same, but the box became narrower.

Before the modification, I had raised the hitch to clear, even with the standard Heartland/Lippert pin box. I have a nick out of the side rail to prove I hit a pothole while turning once.

The Trailair only reduced the clearance as shown in the pictures.

With the modifications, no problems with the side rails. However, I may keep the hitch a notch high to increase the clearance with the tri-fold hardcover.

My measurements are 23 inches in front of the tires and 22 inches high in back of the tires.