Refrigerator that works!!

sdagro

I would love to see Heartland do more research on the refrigerators being used and find one that will work in a slide-out "CONSISTENTLY". Then I can get on here and tell everyone what a great product I have purchased. Until then????

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your frig. I have a 2006 Big Horn 3600RL, and the working frig is in one of the 4 slides. I have had no problems with the unit cooling and the freezer freezing, even in the 107 humid temp I meet in Atlanta, GA this past July. Have you worked with your dealer or contacted the manufacturer of your frig for help solving your issue? Heartland service department may also be of help, but the first stop should be you dealer. I hope you get things worked out in a timely manner.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Same here...the Dometic fridge in the slide of my '08 3600RL has worked flawlessly from day one, and we fulltime in it...also from day one...

K

karykatz

Steve,

I know you have had some issues with your fridge. I hope we have this resolved. We are continually working with Dometic and our engineers to ensure we have the best process for installing the fridges. Thanks for all you input.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've left our fridge on all summer season, this year and last, without a problem. Maybe the slide topper helps keep some of the heat off the top of the slide.

A possible modification for the factory, however, would be to line the area around the fridge with a closed cell insulation, like a styrofoam, rather than trying to stuff fiberglass batting in there. It's compressed to the point that it conducts heat more than it insulates, into the surrounding cabinets.

fhollan

Late last year I realized that I had a problem with the refrigerator which is in a slideout. The temperature inside the refridge hovered around 40 degrees. I was told to disconnect the thermistor, which I did and turn on the refridge and leave it one for several hours. If the refridge section was way below the freezing point, the thermistor would have to be replaced, which turned out to be the problem. Last July we went on a three week trip and everything worked fine.

goodtruck

Sorry you are having frig trouble. We have had ours on steady for over a year now and have had no problems at all.

2010augusta

For all those who had no problems are your fridges 4 doors or 2?

I'll add my $0.02, We have the RM 1350 4 door fridge, in the slideout. last year we were in Uvalde Texas and it was over 100* for the 10 weeks we were there. The fridge was on the sunny side of the trailer.

for the first 2 weeks we were there unit would barely keep 45*, we packed dry ice in it to to help, but had to find a real fix.

I read through a lot of post on here and talked to a "helpful" tech at Dometic, and Dometic suggested bypassing the thermo-switch for the vent fans.
I do not even know there were fans back there, and had only heard them run a few times once I knew they were there.

After making the vent fans on the backside of the fridge run 24/7, and the temp setting set to 5 (max) the unit would cool to 39-40* all day.

After doing more research, I found that the units have a higher performance when running on propane, so I switched it from 110 to propane and for the rest of the 10 weeks the temp inside the fridge stayed between 36* and 38* with the temp setting still set at 5.

I have not added any extra insulation or baffles to the back side of the unit, just turned the 2 factory equipment fans on with a 12 rocker switch and a few feet of wire.

This is what we did and how we made our 4 door unit keep food cold for 8 weeks of sunny 100+* weather.

Now that we are in Northern Washington State, the unit works great at a temp setting of 3 and the thermo-switch is back in the circuit, but I have never heard turn on in the past year.

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hopefully you can get the help needed so your refer functions better. Ours is also in the slide and (knock on wood) works fine! So far, no issues! We have not needed to add baffles or make any mods. Keeps things cold at #4. I do notice the fans run a lot in the hot afternoons especially when the wall is "sunny side".

sdagro

Got my 3670 from shop last Thursday. Was told to hang fan on outside of slide at top vent. Talk about "REDNECK". Did that unit worked great. Fridge ran at 35-38 and freezer ran at "0" in 93-95 degree sun hitting directly on slide. Decided on Friday about noon to disconnect extra fan and see what would happen. Did so and temp has maintained 34-36 and 0 ever since. Go figure. Don't know what to think of that now. FIXED??? I doubt it. Steve

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Steve - called about mine. They have been watching it for a week now. Temp. Has been going up and down like a roller coaster. He replaced i think the baffle i had installed with a better one to see if that would help. Guess it didn't. The man that has been "working" on it for a week was off today and his boss informed me with the above info. So, we are shooting for the next home football game in a week & a half. Kenny

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
For all those who had no problems are your fridges 4 doors or 2?

We have the RM 1350 four door. The first thing I did when buying this trailer was to install a baffle. I don't know if it helped any or not because I did that before even using it.
We have been in the mid 90's and the refer stays at 34*. With opening the doors to get stuff it goes up to 36-38*. The freezer is at 0. I have the unit set at #4, so I do have the ability to go #5 if we need more cooling.
The rig is only one month old now but the refer has not been turned off since we stared it up at that time. We like it and it works good. Who knows if we will have problems down the road, but so far so good and I will deal with problems when they surface. But hopefully that wont happen.

Peace
Dave