Where is the Power Converter located

danemayer

Control Panel shows battery is running down - apparently not charging. I assume the Power Converter is not charging the battery any more. Circuit breaker is not tripped. I assume next step is to check the fuses on the converter.

Anyone know where the converter is located on a 2011 Rushmore?

Thanks,

Dan Mayer (new owner)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If its like most of Heartland 5er's its in the area behind the fuse box. You might try removing the panel in the basement storage , should at least be able to see it......Kenny

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Should be behind the basement wall. If your battery is not charging you can check the converter output at the battery with a meter and also check the battery itself for a dead cell.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Before you get carried away and mess with the converter, take the battery out and check it. I had an Interstate battery that had a bad cell and it burned out the charger part of the converter.

It took me two converters to find this out.

BC

danemayer

Thanks for the location pointers.

I hooked up a battery charger for the time being. If time allows Friday, I'll try opening the basement wall to find the converter and see if the fuses are ok.

danemayer

Yes. Interior and exterior lights work without shore power. Water pump works. So do slides and auto landing system.

danemayer

The converter was not plugged in and the plug was not lying near the outlet. I suppose that means it's likely Heartland forgot to plug it in, rather than having found a problem but forgetting to fix it before replugging. Anyway, the converter fan it running and all seems to be working. If that's all that's wrong, I'm blessed that I don't have to take it in for repair.

Thanks for the pointers on locating the converter.

Dan Mayer

jbeletti

Dan,

In my 2009 Landmark Pinehurst, I was having some odd DC power issues once. Turned out, my converter came unplugged from the AC receptacle. Sent a skinnier buddy back there to plug it back in and tie-wrap the plug such that it cannot come unplugged from road vibration as it did before. Never had an issue with it again. Sounds like yours may never have been plugged in, but still a preventative measure to consider.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Take the battery cables off the battery and connect a DC Volt meter to the cables and see if the charger is putting out 13.4VDC. That will tell you if your the charging part of the cnverter is working.

BC

Last edited:

2010augusta

Dan,

In my 2009 Landmark Pinehurst, I was having some odd DC power issues once. Turned out, my converter came unplugged from the AC receptacle. Sent a skinnier buddy back there to plug it back in and tie-wrap the plug such that it cannot come unplugged from road vibration as it did before. Never had an issue with it again. Sounds like yours may never have been plugged in, but still a preventative measure to consider.

Jim

One other trick I have found is: on some models you can remove the furnace register in the bathroom and the converter plug is right below it so you can plug it in without unloading and crawling through the basement.

danemayer

Everything seems to be working fine now. Control panel shows the battery charge at full for over 18 hours now with lots of lights on, including porch and security lights for the past 12 hours.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depending on how handy and nimble you are, and where the converter is located, you could also consider remounting it to a friendlier location. Mine was mounted against the back wall of the basement, in a spot that made it a target for any water leaks, especially if the anti-siphon valve on the tank flusher ever looses it. I made a mount plate on the side of the framing for the bedroom steps and put the converter and surge suppressor on it. Mounted the converter so the fuses were easily accessible, too. I made a removeable panel in the forward basement wall so I can easily get at it.

View attachment 9989View attachment 9990