New Tow Vehicle

LBallard

Just picked up my 2011 F-350 King Ranch. Leaving for camp, will check out all goodies in he next couple weeks.:cool:

jimtoo

Hey,,,Congratulations on your new King Ranch. I just can't imagine I'm saying that,,,, being a GM man for many, many years... But I guess it's time to look at other things... all 3 of my children have gone to Fords and they were raised on Chev's....just don't understand where I went wrong..

Have a great time with your new toy.

Jim M

jcarnevale

Pictures ?..............Please?............I test drove one last week. What a nice ride......did you figure out the turn signals yet? That's cool stuff!

Jay

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm trying to stay brand loyal with Govt. Motors but the dealers that I've inquired from are not cooperating very well. GM isn't producing many diesel motors, so there aren't many in dealers stock. Because they are in short supply, the dealers don't want to deal. It's pretty much take it or leave it, so for now, I'm leaving it.

nhunter

I picked mine up 4 days ago and woweee what a difference from the 06 6.0. Quite, powerful and full of nice things: sync, nav. And as a bonus I found out mine is yet to recieve the flash for the power update.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations on the new truck. We have been loving our 2010 F350 King Ranch. Incidently the reason they call it a King Ranch is the leather in it actually comes from the cattle at the King Ranch. It is true cowhide. The King Ranch and the Ford dealer sell King Ranch leather treatment. Works very good to keep the leather treated properly. Enjoy.

delrkn

Hello all,
I'm a newbie here, and to 5th wheel towing for that matter. My name is Dan and my wife Lynn and I live in Michigan. We just placed an order for a Sundance XLT255RK and are now looking for a new tow vehicle. We are leaning toward a Ford F250 SD 2x4 with 6.2L gas. I figure the rolling weight of this trailer will be in the 8500 lb range, so didn't feel a diesel is necessary. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bighurt

I'm partial, but would really consider the 6.7L as my first choice. Fuel economy and power defenetly go to the diesel hands down. Gas prices are close depending on where you live. It is a personal preference, maintenance is twice as expensive, and should always be a consideration.

But when I roll to a light with 250hp at the rear wheels, even the ricers don't stand much chance.

Cheers

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Are you always going to have a Sundance or are you going to upgrade in the future to a larger or heavier 5er? If yes is the answer then I would at least go with a diesel, and preferably a 1 ton (F350) either single or dually. You will thank yourself later. MHO

delrkn

Thanks for the info, diesel is my preference but associated costs and reduced fuel tank capacity due to the urea tank make it less desirable. I did a test drive in an F350 with diesel, and it is sweet.

It is unlikely we will have a need to upsize the trailer. We live in a subdivision with an RV parking ordinance. Anything over 28 ft and I go over the sidewalk resulting in a visit from the cops. I am also limited on time to park there so I have a permanent spot at a storage facility.

porthole

Retired
If the urea tank is the only consideration - it is minimal.
For 2011 all the GM's have a 36 gallon tank, even the short beds. SB's previously had a 26 gallon tank.

The Ford SB is still 26 but the LB's have 37 gallon tanks.

Either way, I found that my truck's 26 gallon tank was way too small and replaced the factory tank with an aftermarket 52 gallon Titan tank. By far the best improvement I did to my truck.

Bighurt

If the urea tank is the only consideration - it is minimal.
For 2011 all the GM's have a 36 gallon tank, even the short beds. SB's previously had a 26 gallon tank.

The Ford SB is still 26 but the LB's have 37 gallon tanks.

Either way, I found that my truck's 26 gallon tank was way too small and replaced the factory tank with an aftermarket 52 gallon Titan tank. By far the best improvement I did to my truck.

I also plan to upgrade tanks, if only to get an additional 350 miles to the tank.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hello all,
I'm a newbie here, and to 5th wheel towing for that matter. My name is Dan and my wife Lynn and I live in Michigan. We just placed an order for a Sundance XLT255RK and are now looking for a new tow vehicle. We are leaning toward a Ford F250 SD 2x4 with 6.2L gas. I figure the rolling weight of this trailer will be in the 8500 lb range, so didn't feel a diesel is necessary. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
The new 6.2 gasser is one strong puller for that weight and you will save over $7000 compaired to a diesel. The 6.2 has the same drive train as the diesels at a lower maintiance, insurance and fuel costs.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/

porthole

Retired
The new 6.2 gasser is one strong puller for that weight and you will save over $7000 compared to a diesel. The 6.2 has the same drive train as the diesels at a lower maintenance, insurance and fuel costs.

I am going out on a limb here but I think most of us with smaller trailers that don't actually "need" a diesel have a diesel because we want one. We didn't have a camper when I bought my GMC in 06, but I bought the diesel "because I could". And I did have other plans.

In the pickup truck market, if you are thinking of buying a diesel for the fuel savings you are wasting your money.

But for towing it can't be beat, even with a small trailer. Nothing like setting the cruise for 60 on those long hills on RT. 81 and having the truck stay at 60.

The biggest maintenance difference is the amount of oil, typically 5-6 quarts versus 10-14. Fuel filters cost more, maybe the air filter too. Even in New Jersey, with the highest auto insurance rates in the country the diesel is not an issue.

Diesel for no other reason then corporate greed costs more then gasoline, but the mileage offsets the difference.

I have no idea what a Sundance XLT255RK is, and the new Heartland web site didn’t come up with a trailer.

If it is a travel trailer and you really like the RV'ing thing the odds are good you will upgrade to 5th wheel sooner rather then later. In that sense it will be more economical to get the diesel now rather then buying two vehicles down the road.

I bought my GMC HD Duramax in January and I was very happy with it. We bought a used travel trailer (29’ Sunnybrook) the following summer. Liked the RV thing saw we bought the Cyclone in the summer of 09.

The 2500 has become less then desirable le for the task. It pulls fine, stops fine but the trailer is too much for it. So even though we ended up with the diesel in the beginning we are now getting ready to order a new diesel, only this time a 3500.

My opinion, unless you really need to save the money, buy the diesel. I don’t think you will be sorry. And you didn’t mention whether you were talking new or used for the truck.

If used, that is a “whole ‘nutter ball game”

My 2 cents

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

I am going out on a limb here but I think most of us with smaller trailers that don't actually "need" a diesel have a diesel because we want one. We didn't have a camper when I bought my GMC in 06, but I bought the diesel "because I could". And I did have other plans.

In the pickup truck market, if you are thinking of buying a diesel for the fuel savings you are wasting your money.

But for towing it can't be beat, even with a small trailer. Nothing like setting the cruise for 60 on those long hills on RT. 81 and having the truck stay at 60.

The biggest maintenance difference is the amount of oil, typically 5-6 quarts versus 10-14. Fuel filters cost more, maybe the air filter too. Even in New Jersey, with the highest auto insurance rates in the country the diesel is not an issue.

Diesel for no other reason then corporate greed costs more then gasoline, but the mileage offsets the difference.

I have no idea what a Sundance XLT255RK is, and the new Heartland web site didn’t come up with a trailer.

If it is a travel trailer and you really like the RV'ing thing the odds are good you will upgrade to 5th wheel sooner rather then later. In that sense it will be more economical to get the diesel now rather then buying two vehicles down the road.

I bought my GMC HD Duramax in January and I was very happy with it. We bought a used travel trailer (29’ Sunnybrook) the following summer. Liked the RV thing saw we bought the Cyclone in the summer of 09.

The 2500 has become less then desirable le for the task. It pulls fine, stops fine but the trailer is too much for it. So even though we ended up with the diesel in the beginning we are now getting ready to order a new diesel, only this time a 3500.

My opinion, unless you really need to save the money, buy the diesel. I don’t think you will be sorry. And you didn’t mention whether you were talking new or used for the truck.

If used, that is a “whole ‘nutter ball game”

My 2 cents

I agree with you on the "wants and needs" portion of your post as I have vehicles that I want but don't need. If you read 'Delrkn' posts he states they want to stay with a 28' 5th wheel and the XLT Sundance's are ultra-lite near 6800lb dry. The new Ford 6.2 is 385hp-405tq and will easily pass you up any grade as I could while pulling my Sundance. He could pay for 75% of his new Sundance with the cost differiance between the gas verses diesel. (good option's out there now)