replacement tire for TV confusion

Bobby A

Been running around all day looking at tires for my tow vehicle, I currently have the BFG Rugged Trail TA 265/70/R17 that have going on 60K and have served me well. I'm thinking about going up in size to at 285/70/R17 to a brand called Hankook Dynapro ATM because of the heavier load range of 3750 lbs. at 80 psi as apposed to the BFG's at a load range of 3195 lbs at 80 psi. My thinking is because of the heavy pin weight on my horn I could use the extra load range on the TV tires for the added security. Anyone have these Hankook tires ?? I have read the reviews and some are good and some are bad so I second guessing myself to re think this. I have done the negociating and have got an attractive price on both the tires I have mentioned above, but again, I'm questioning myself, should I stay with a tire that has served me well but with a lower load range or gamble and go with the Hankook which is a new tire and I don't know anyone that has them other than the reviews online.
Thanks for our input

Bobby A

jnbhobe

Remember this will change your gear ratio and your speedometer, you will be 2.5 mph faster with the new tires. I didn't check what it will do to the gears. If you still have eneough gear you will be OK

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Been running around all day looking at tires for my tow vehicle, I currently have the BFG Rugged Trail TA 265/70/R17 that have going on 60K and have served me well. I'm thinking about going up in size to at 285/70/R17 to a brand called Hankook Dynapro ATM because of the heavier load range of 3750 lbs. at 80 psi as apposed to the BFG's at a load range of 3195 lbs at 80 psi. My thinking is because of the heavy pin weight on my horn I could use the extra load range on the TV tires for the added security. Anyone have these Hankook tires ?? I have read the reviews and some are good and some are bad so I second guessing myself to re think this. I have done the negociating and have got an attractive price on both the tires I have mentioned above, but again, I'm questioning myself, should I stay with a tire that has served me well but with a lower load range or gamble and go with the Hankook which is a new tire and I don't know anyone that has them other than the reviews online.
Thanks for our input

Bobby A

The change you are talking about is only the width of the tire and not the diameter. The width should not affect the speedmeter but the diameter will. The width could be an issue if you have a dually as it could cause tires on the dually to rub together.

2010augusta

going from a 265/70 to a 285/70 WILL slightly increase diameter, because 70 is the aspect ratio, meaning that the sidewall height is 70% of the width, and 70% of 285mm is greater than 70% of 265mm by 14mm or about a 1/2 inch.and you would travel about 1.5 inches further per revolution, but I would not be surprised if the wear on the Rugged trails would cause a great change in the speedometer from the time you installed them to the time they have worn down to the wear bars.

but to address the original question, Hankooks can be good tires. I have Hankook AH11s on the f-450 and they are a good high load range F and are super quite on the highway.

Bobby A

Thanks guys for the input, I have talked to 3 or 4 different tire outfits and they all agree going from a 265 to a 285 will not be an issue for clearance, just may change the speedometer a bit, if I do get the 285's I would check my GPS for speed comparison. As for the gearing, not sure how/if that will effect the truck, never thought about that !! I do run a 3.73 rear end. I think I will chew on this for the weekend in hopes of getting more feedback from people that might be running the same tire while pulling our Heartland products. I welcome more feedback.

Thanks,
Bobby A

branson4020

Icantre Member
Like Alan said, the numbers change a little depending on your tread pattern as your tires wear, but here are the calculations for new tires, courtesy of one of the many on-line caclulators available.

265-70/R17 - circumference = 99.294"
285-70/R17 - circumference = 102.757

ratio of old to new = .966 (your spedometer will only read 96.6% of your actual speed)
new overall gear ratio = 3.73 X .966 = 3.60

Bobby A

Like Alan said, the numbers change a little depending on your tread pattern as your tires wear, but here are the calculations for new tires, courtesy of one of the many on-line caclulators available.

265-70/R17 - circumference = 99.294"
285-70/R17 - circumference = 102.757

ratio of old to new = .966 (your spedometer will only read 96.6% of your actual speed)
new overall gear ratio = 3.73 X .966 = 3.60

Thanks Bob,
I didn't realize all that was involved. I'm still leaning on the Hankooks unless someone drastically talks me out of it by monday, it appears that the bigger size shouldn't be to big of an issue, does it ??