bed rail clearance

hopefully,i posted this in the correct forum.i have taller than stock tires on my 09 dodge 2500 4x4.when talking with the salesman about clearance he suggested maybe smaller tires would give me some more.i slightly rubbed backing into my driveway with 6 inches of clearance.i'm having the driveway reworked which should solve that.but,my question after much thinking is.......would shorter tires provide more bed clearance or just lower the whole package and not change anything? i would think it would be the pin box or hitch height.tires alone wouldn't change anything.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see how smaller tires would give more bedrail clearance. The only thing that would do is make your trailer lower in the front. And depending on how level it sits now, that may not be a good idea.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you look at it logically lowering the bed will lower the front of the trailer and INCREASE the pin weight. Another issue many people don't think about is when you change tire size (diameter not width) you usually cause the speedometer to read incorrectly unless you get it recalibrated. There are other mechanical issues as well such as wear issues with the drive train. It is always best to check with your friendly local mechanic (who knows what he is doing) to check it out.

WilmanJim

I would think if you lowered the truck, which would lower the front of the trailer, then you would have to raise your hitch in the truck to bring the trailer back to level, which should give you more clearance. If that is something that could be done.
Also, smaller diameter tires will give you back better towing ratio.

http://4lo.com/calc/geartire.htm

GOTTOYS

If the rubbing is only when backing up a steep driveway, try a manual slider hitch slid all the way to the rear. This will get your trailer farther back from your bed rails and should provide enough clearance to get up the drive.
6" of clearance should be adequate under normal conditions.

DW_Gray

The only way to increase the distance between the bed rails and the trailer is to raise the hitch. I had to do that with mine. Ideally mine should be lower to make the trailer ride level. As it is, it's high in the front and low in the back. Unless I take a saw to the bed rails, there's noting I can do about it. I showed the problem to Lippert and there isn't anything they could change in the design.

Northern Virginia
I also sit slightly high in the front to leave enough clearance when backing over my grass to the parking pad. I have resolved that there is nothing I can do.

John

DW_Gray

Seriously, I have considered taking my truck to a qualified body shop and have them cut the bed rails down about 5 inches but it may be less expensive to install a custom truck bed. The problem is I use my truck for hauling from time to time.

Northern Virginia
It seems to me that the truck makers have all raised the bed rail heights with their new body styles. But the 5th wheel makers haven't changed their heights for this new trend. Personally, I hate not being able to reach into the truck bed and grab things like I used to do in my old body style GMC. I wish they would go back to the lower bed rails but they have all trended this way so I guess I better get used to it.

John

2010augusta

Seriously, I have considered taking my truck to a qualified body shop and have them cut the bed rails down about 5 inches but it may be less expensive to install a custom truck bed. The problem is I use my truck for hauling from time to time.

we love the Utility Bodywerks bed on oue 450. LOTS of storage in the 7 door bed and can still set 4x8 sheets of wood and drywall in it.

images

Give us lot of bed rail clearance. Check them out here: http://www.utilitybodywerks.com/index.html

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
It seems to me that the truck makers have all raised the bed rail heights with their new body styles. But the 5th wheel makers haven't changed their heights for this new trend. Personally, I hate not being able to reach into the truck bed and grab things like I used to do in my old body style GMC. I wish they would go back to the lower bed rails but they have all trended this way so I guess I better get used to it.

John
There is a easy answer to your nose high level issues...raise 5th wheel. I raised mine myself 2" with spacer blocks between the axel plate and the springs.

DW_Gray

I hear you John, but I don't think the the trailer guys have any more room to do that. That would mean raising the trailer height 5 inches or so or having reduced headroom in the bedroom, and I don't want either mods.

Northern Virginia
There is a easy answer to your nose high level issues...raise 5th wheel. I raised mine myself 2" with spacer blocks between the axel plate and the springs.

How tall are you now? I am at 13'2" to the top of the front (low profile) ac.
BTW, I really like the hauler bed like Alan has. I just can't justify the expense.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
How tall are you now? I am at 13'2" to the top of the front (low profile) ac.
Raising the rear 2" won't change the overall front height much if any. Drive the trailer up on wood blocks and take measurements to see what looks good. I have raise a few trailers without issues and if your are handy with tools the job can be done for around $100. (8ea. longer u-bolts, 4 ea. square tubing steel blocks).
I've raised my unit a total for 3.5" with taller tires and axel spacers. Overhead height is 12'-2" on my mid-profile.

If the rubbing is only when backing up a steep driveway, try a manual slider hitch slid all the way to the rear. This will get your trailer farther back from your bed rails and should provide enough clearance to get up the drive.
6" of clearance should be adequate under normal conditions.
i have a long bed truck.so,i didn't consider the slider.i think a few yards of rock and a driveway overhaul will help.i'm having that done real soon.i had to fall a couple of huge maples first.my driveway is actually downhill below the road where the rubbing happens.i just got back from a 300 mile trip to pasco,wa with no clearance problems....thanks everyone for helping me with my thought process of taller tires making for less bedrail clearance.the salesman was wrong when advising me on stock size tires would give more clearance.i do have another hole on the hitch.but,i'm already just a tad nose high.