Axle Springs

Ryanjb01

Can someone please tell me if I have a potential problem or not?

I was under my 5'er last week repairing the underbelly that started sagging in the middle. After I was done with that job, I started to look at the rest of the under carriage.

My attention was drawn to the the springs on both axles. It looks to be very little arch in the springs almost level/straight.

Does someone know how much of an arch the springs should have? Or a way of measuring them?

Just wondering if I should be nervous or not. I have never seen leaf springs with such little arch in them.

Thanks for the thoughts.

By the way I called Heartland and asked about this. I was told there was no historical problem noted with these springs and that I may want to have a dealer check it out. I could also call Lippert which I plan to do, but they are closed till the am.

Before I do all of that I want to be sure there is a problem first.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a differiant model Sundance but I have approx. 1 1/2'- 2" of arch in my springs while disconnect from my TV. (landing gear planted takes about 500lbs off the springs).

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16395-Lippert-springs-strike-again

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17945-Bye-bye-Lippert-leaf-springs

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/10563-Leaf-Spring-Failure

Might want to do your own search... Very easy to do. This subject has been discussed once or twice.

jimtoo

Before you get to far along you need to get your trailer weighed as it is now, not after you unload your toys and drain your tanks. Get you axle weights (for each axle) from an approved scale before you jump to conclusions. Then you can start the process of contacting your dealer and or Lippert. You can do nothing with out axle weights, and if low,, then pictures will be needed.

caissiel

I replaced the 4 springs on my trailer for noting. The new 7000 pair springs were exactly the same ack as the old ones. They are build with strait No5 and No6 Plies.

When the springs are loaded there is a small backward arc on my springs

In the Pic the new spring is on top with a flat center section

HPIM7752.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Compared with mine, it looks OK. Mine are 2+ years old. Some of the rigs with problems had spring sets that looked more like "W's". It is important that you periodically check the torque on the U-bolt nuts (65 ft-lbs). If they loosen up, you're in deep doo-doo.

View attachment 10018

Ryanjb01

OK. Stand down red alert. I thought my last trailer had much more arch. I will check the bolts and keep an eye on the suspension.

Thanks,

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
We do not take Delivery of our Sundance 2800RL until Monday, December 20th, but here is a picture of our springs with the trailer unloaded. So this is how it look with no load.

Tom
springs 2.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From what I can see, they look OK. Something else that came up in previous discussions is that one spring may look slightly flatter than it's mate and side to side simply due to how the rig is parked and loaded. Might want to try and get a better picture when you can to save for future reference, though (hard to see spring).

But, lookee there, he's got low point drains!

caissiel

They look great.
I replaced mine for nothing because I tought they were to flat last winter.
The new springs look the same after installation.