MPG 185 Solo RVer female and clueless newbie waning to use solar power.

Thanks so much for the help the info and help!

Flamingknitter! Glad the heare there is at least one other solo female on here. I hope we meet soon.. Thanks for the welcomes

Last edited:

jbeletti

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thank you for buying a Heartland. We have, that I know of, one other solo-female RVer here on the forum (flamingknitter). Bravo to you both.

I know theory only on solar, but I do know this, you don't have any real flat roof surface for mounting a solar panel on an MPG, so the portable track you are on is likely the best route for you. Retired4fun here on the forum uses a panel mounted to a ladder that he can move around to capture the most sun. With the MPG, storage for the panel and ladder could be a challenge.

What about your tow vehicle? Perhaps one or two solar panels could be mounted to the roof of it? Then roll out the set of heavy cables from the tow vehicle to a connection point on the RV to connect to the charge controller, then to the batteries.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. Smarter people than I will weigh in on this.

By the way, there is a Heartland rally coming up in Moab, UT on the 23rd-26th of this month :) [link]

Jim

flamingknitter

Yay!! Another solo female with a Heartland!!! At long last!!! Sorry, though, I don't know a danged thing about solar. I just wanted to say welcome and hope to run into you at the July rally in Sparks, NV.

I know there have been threads about solar power and how to use it with a fifthwheel. Someone will come along and help I'm sure.

Again, welcome aboard. Glad to see you.

Gaffer

I think you should seriously consider keeping it simple and going with a small Honda genereator. The 2000 watt will handle most of your needs. Storage for the solar array, extra batteries, invertor, charge controller and cables will be a challange.