Time to come out of the closet

Hello all,

I've been a lurker in this forum (and others) for some time now gathering information on a prospective fifth wheel that will be coming our way in the future. I have always been in the transportaion industry all of my working years starting out as a School Bus driver to a Transit driver to a Truck Driver and then finally to a Locomotive Engineer with a large class one railway here in Canada.

Retirement is fast approaching in only 2 years so the DW and I are lining our ducks into a row for that day. I can't believe how fast the years have flown by!

So........ I gotta say this forum and I used the search feature extensively has helped us shortlisting what trailer we are going with... We've had travel trailers before for the weekend getaways but this will be our first 5er...

Also I noted how much the Heartland people chime in with their knowledge tells me that they DO stand behind their product... This is probaly one of the bigest reasons we are looking at a Heartland 5er over any other brand...

We think today that the Elk Ridge 34QSRL probably meets our needs best... Not looking to go full time but will do a month at a time...

I haven't needed to post a bunch of questions because I already found most of the answers with the search feature.... However I'm sure I'll think of some soon.....

Do we buy in Canada or the US? I've been finding way better prices in the US... But do we save a few bucks (no a lot of bucks) to deal with trying to get warranty issues dealt with here? I'd like to hear some experinces if there are any...

Thanks

Tim

ps Our TV is a 2010 Silverado 2500HD CC 4X4 Duramax....

jimtoo

Hi Tim.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the Family of owners. As you have found out already, we have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think Heartland works with dealers really good, it is the dealer that usually gives you the problem. If there is not a dealer in your area, Heartland will or has also worked with an independent repair person also... but you must get your ducks in a row first, authorization is required before any thing is done.

Hope you continue to enjoy the forum and soon become and family member.

Jim M

I have found that with anything you buy its best to buy closer to your home town. I was thinking of buying a different travel trailer rather then the MPG but i would of had to drive 13+hrs to get there. For maintance,etc that Is to far to travel.
I went 4hrs away to Woodys RV world in Edmonton and got great service and a cool MPG.
Where in Canada do you live?

goodtruck

My wife and I have a 34QRSL and just love it.plenty of room and a large kitchen.We got ours at a dealer 300 miles away and wish we had of spent a few more bucks and used a nearby dealer(15 miles)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You will love the 34QRSL. I think they just get better and better, each year Heartland adds and upgrades. That being said, the 5ver is a complicated system of components and products. I recommend you find a dealer you TRUST, regardless of price. You may be going back for things, under warranty. We have had issues with our fridge and AC and a few other things, but none are due to the quality of the Heartland product. We are lucky we only live 50 miles from our dealer. Even though there is one closer, I don't like the way they do business.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Buy close to your home, heartland actually has a line on the hteir website that says you should support your local dealers. I looked hard at buying in the states but decided to buy in Saskatoon (hometown), dealer is here and doing my bit for our economy.

I know some of our dealers, one story goes like this. A couple bought in the states, got the rif home and the fridge didn't work. Went to several deals who asked where they bought it, then said they didn't have the time to work on the fridge. One Dealer told me that they found out that to hot water and microwave didn't work either.

It appears that they did the deal over the phone and the US deal found that he had a way to get rid of several pieces that did not work, dumb Canuck would not be back...Right?

Any way, thats why I bought locally.

B

bwwalczak

We can help you find a dealer. Make sure you see the new ElkRidge graphics. They are going over very well at shows.

Thank you all for your comments...

The little man inside me agrees that we should stick close to home... Too many cons to justify saving a few bucks... The aggravation wouldn't be worth it.

I first looked at a 34QSRL at a dealer near me and went back with the DW a couple of weeks later to find it was gone. The salesman really gave me a bad taste in my mouth with his lack of knowledge on a product he was supposed to be selling... I naturally assumed they sold the trailer seeing it was a couple of weeks since my last visit. I also did some research on their reputaion and was given some bad reports about their service... One was the company who installed my hitch rails who has done business with them.

There's another dealer about 75 miles away that we'll be seeing soon where a co-worker who has bought a TT from them had praise for their service.

Plus we have time on our side that we don't have to buy tomorrow... There's the RV show in January that we're definately going to... I certainly hope Heartland has a rep there.

Bryan.... How do I find out who are all the Elk Ridge dealers in and around Calgary AB? I've googled several times but most of their websites don't have any Elk Ridges...

Thanks again...

Tim

B

bwwalczak

We are actively seeking the correct dealer in the Calgary market. For now there are two dealers who may be able to help you:

COUNTRY RD - DIDSBURBOX 2467
1 CO OP ROAD
DIDSBURYABT0M 0W0403-335-2089
SCOUGALL'S RV CENTRE807 18TH STREETFORT MACLEODABT0L O2O403-553-3111

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for the info Bryan,

I see that Country Road RV in Didsbury also has a location in Sundre. I plan on going to Lethbridge this week and should be able to check out Fort MacLeod on the way down...

We are actively seeking the correct dealer in the Calgary market. For now there are two dealers who may be able to help you:

COUNTRY RD - DIDSBURBOX 2467
1 CO OP ROAD
DIDSBURYABT0M 0W0403-335-2089
SCOUGALL'S RV CENTRE807 18TH STREETFORT MACLEODABT0L O2O403-553-3111

Let me know if this helps.

whj77372

While I would like to buy from a local dealer, that is just not going to happen. Just go off the phone with a dealer in Texas, about 135 miles from my home and they have a sale price of $**,***.00 for a ElkRidge Express 24 FW, same unit in Ohio for $**,***.00. That is a difference of $*,***.00.
The Texas dealer stated that is what it is and that they, the Ohio dealer, will sell for much less because they are not a real RV dealer, they will never see you again, and of course no one will work on it except the dealer that I bought it from???
Since I am going to the UP of MI in July, I could pick it up on the way.
What are the draw backs. Any info would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

irvin56

Didsbury has lots of Heartlands, lots of diff models. I have been out there a few times to visit family.
Carstairs rv has the Prowlers on their lot.