carrier for ladder

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I would like to carry my 6 ft. ladder on the ladder attached to the rear of our Mt. Rushmore. I have checked with camping world and i cannot find one. They do have a bike carrier that attaches to the ladder and one to carry chairs. Now both of these would probably work, but I would like to find one specifically designed to carry a ladder. any ideas?

jpmorgan37

Terry;
I carry an eight foot step ladder and I use a bike carrier hooked over the ladder on the back of my Grand Canyon. I have a bicycle combination cable lock that I wrap around both ladders to keep it. When I am on long hauls, I put a couple of tie wraps around the ladder legs and the rv ladder to keep it from moving. This has worked well for us for a number of years.

John

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
I have a ladder similar to what tdharley has. I bought it at Camping World for around $60.00 and it works real well. It takes up very little space and is sturdy.

Ken

trdeal

Thanks for all the replies about the ladder and ladder rack. I have some birthday money that is burning a hole in my pocket and I am trying to decide where to spend it.One more question, which works the best,the chock-n-lock,(camping world master catalog number 31695) or the BAL locking chock,(item number 11109). Thanks for your help. :D

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
trdeal said:
Thanks for all the replies about the ladder and ladder rack. I have some birthday money that is burning a hole in my pocket and I am trying to decide where to spend it.One more question, which works the best,the chock-n-lock,(camping world master catalog number 31695) or the BAL locking chock,(item number 11109). Thanks for your help. :D
Might want to check out www.rotochok.com best thing since peanut butter and jelly as chocks go. The ones you mention are pretty good but not in the same league as Rotochok, IMHO and most will not narrow down to go between our 5er tires. They are the first thing I put on camping and the last thing off before leaving.
I bought one of the telescoping ladders from Menards its similar to the Little Giant ladder with out the the big dollar signs. Lowes and Home Depot sell the same type , made from different companys , just never could find them on sale except at Menards. If you have a Menards in your area they are on special for $79 this weekend. Sure like trying to spend some one else's money. :D Ken

trdeal

katkens said:
Might want to check out www.rotochok.com best thing since peanut butter and jelly as chocks go. The ones you mention are pretty good but not in the same league as Rotochok, IMHO and most will not narrow down to go between our 5er tires. They are the first thing I put on camping and the last thing off before leaving.
I bought one of the telescoping ladders from Menards its similar to the Little Giant ladder with out the the big dollar signs. Lowes and Home Depot sell the same type , made from different companys , just never could find them on sale except at Menards. If you have a Menards in your area they are on special for $79 this weekend. Sure like trying to spend some one else's money. :D Ken
Thanks Ken, We do nothave Menards in our area but your ladder is something to think about. I purchased a 6 ft. step ladder from lowes here a while back, and carried in my storage area. I mounted a ladder hanger on the door side straight across from the factory one installed on the off door side, which the factory used to hang the power cord on. That works fine , I just wanted to get the ladder out of my storage area. I checked out the roto-chock web site. Have never seen anything like them. They look like they would work fine. One of my camping friends dad, took a siscors (spelled wrong)jack and two worn out brake shoes, mounted the brake shoes on each side of the jack, put a bolt in the hole that you normally put the jack handle in. They work great. Don't look the best but they work.He made several pair of these before he died. I know if it ain;t broke don't fix it, but I am just looking at other options.

phranc

I bought the look alike little Giant ladder from sam's club . It was a Cosco brand..Used to carry it in the truck bed . fairly handy ladder but much too heavy. Now resides in garage and used around house....I think the fold up ladder that TDHarley has is a fine idea.. A couple of brackets and it would slip right into the basement under the bath floor

trdeal

tdharley said:
I do not know of a ladder rack like you are looking for but I tell you I bought this ladder and love it..........

http://www.dyersonline.com/p-26201-compact-folding-rv-step-ladder-6-ft.aspx

It is just perfect, it is very stable & stores right in the compatment. Its a little pricey but I thought worth it.
Thanks for the info on the ladder. I have looked at one like the one you mentioned a few months back,at camping world. Not real sure now why I decided against it. Ending up buying an aluminum one from Lowes. About how much does your ladder weigh? Now one more question. Could you tell us a little about your picture at the top of the page beside your name?:D :D Thanks for the info. Terry

tdharley

I am not 100% sure of the weigh , it is very light (20lbs.) and manageable. I have a draw slide in my storage area and it fits in like it made for it between the wall and draw.

So you wanna know about the picture..................Hmmm

I go to Daytona bikeweek every year for the last 7 or 8 years. When there I put on my Boob shirt and get my picture taken about a million times & many other fringe benefits ( which I will have to go over face to face in front of a campfire some night). That pictures happens to be my wife on my left & my sister in law on my right. If you are interested I will post a link to my photo site for more.

trdeal

tdharley said:
I am not 100% sure of the weigh , it is very light (20lbs.) and manageable. I have a draw slide in my storage area and it fits in like it made for it between the wall and draw.

So you wanna know about the picture..................Hmmm

I go to Daytona bikeweek every year for the last 7 or 8 years. When there I put on my Boob shirt and get my picture taken about a million times & many other fringe benefits ( which I will have to go over face to face in front of a campfire some night). That pictures happens to be my wife on my left & my sister in law on my right. If you are interested I will post a link to my photo site for more.
Thanks for the weight on the ladder,and for the info on the picture. As for sitting around the campfire that sounds great. Come on to North Carolina, and we will do that. But, do I really want to hear about these " other fringe benefits" you are talking about.;) And yes if you would like to post the links to your photo site, that might be fun.