08 Saturn XR Tow Vehicle

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
Well let me just say that if you are thinking of using a 2008 Saturn Vue to tow anything that requires brakes,

DON'T!!!!

My Vue has been in the shop for 2 full days. They have been on the phone with Saturn to get ideas how to wire this thing to get the brakes to work.
The Vue has the opposite electrical thinking for lack of a better term.
Power on all the time until you push the brake pedal, then no power....Huhhh! yea
2 different shops have looked at this thing.
Not happy right now....
But everything will be ok.......... :D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ty, are you sure that they are working with the brake lamp switch?? I have never heard of a GM car wired that way. But it does have some Honda stuff in it. What color wire are they testing...lite blue?? Sounds to me like they found the TCC solenoid wire. That wire shuts down the over drive in the trans. Let me check with someone I know that works at a GM dealer.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Ty, here's the deal. The brake lamps are controlled by the BCM (body control module). There is a fuse panel on the right side of the center consol. Remove the cover and find the "red/white" wire to the stop lamp fuse. You will need to remove the fuse panel itself...well maybe. Look to see if there is a place to plug in a wire harness or wire with a "blade connector" on it next to the "brake lamp" fuse. The wire color from the stop lamp switch is "purple". It goes to the BCM. The hot wire to the brake lamp switch is "orange/white". It should already have the wire harness installed at the rear of the vehicle. I just hope that it has a "brake" wire in that harness. If you need me to, I could fax you the scematic of the brake harness wiring. Might not be until Monday now. BTW, dont let them use any of the "mickey mouse" connectors on this....solder them if needed.

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
Thank you very much for your help. The shop I took the car to had to send it out to another shop to get everthing done. Thank god I prepaid for what they thought would be an easy job. $500 install turned into a $900 install

Now I am wondering about gear selection, RMP range during towing?

any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Ty, glad it's all worked out now. RPM range?? Only you will know when you need to downshift. There should information in the "owners manual" about this. Good luck with your new toy and enjoy. BTW, we own a 2007 Equinox...been a good car.

Bob

kencook

Ty, are you sure that they are working with the brake lamp switch?? I have never heard of a GM car wired that way. But it does have some Honda stuff in it. What color wire are they testing...lite blue?? Sounds to me like they found the TCC solenoid wire. That wire shuts down the over drive in the trans. Let me check with someone I know that works at a GM dealer.

The place I bought my Edge from simply could not hook up my 2007 Saturn Outlook. They advised that I go to U-Haul. I did and they hooked it up with no problems.