Larger Brakes on Landmark?

irogeo

In preparing to place order for 2011 Landmark Augusta am wondering the value of ordering with the upgraded larger brake. Please share with me your opinions on the upgrade.

ihsolutions

I have them on my Big Horn 3670RL and I think it's a very worthwhile upgrade. Sure, disc brakes are better, but I felt like this is a fair middle ground if you don't want to spend all the extra cash for disc.

I can lock up my brakes even at 30+ MPH, not that I would, or want to, but just to give you an idea of how much more powerful the brakes are.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The larger brakes are a great upgrade. But if you are going to put disc brakes on then save your money for them. We love our disc brakes. The best upgrade of all IMHO

lwmcguir

We have the 3.75 inch brakes and 8K axles along with CP and 5th Airborne pin. All well worth the money. The rig handles like a dream.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Question?? To install the larger brakes....does it take a bigger/different axle?? Could one install them on a older BH?? Does it move the wheels out some...not a big deal.

irogeo

We ordered the Dexter 7/8000 lb axle with 3 1/2 x 12 brakes. This is a $850 upgrade on new orders. As doing it as a modification to a older BH we are not sure. Maybe someone else knows.

RollingHome

Bob, I was at the Hershey RV show today and checked on brake change. I found a electric powered hydraulic disc set up. You can swap your solenoid electric shoe brakes over to hydraulic disc for about $1,200.00 for a complete kit. The stuff literally bolts onto your rig. Looked like a weekend job for me and a 6 hour job with an experienced shop. Quality Trailer Products or qtrailer.com

Tom

ct0218

When we ordered our Landmark we opted for the oversize brakes on our 7000 lb axles. When Lippert/Dexter/Heartland changed out our axles and replaced them with the 8000 lb axles, I made sure that the oversize brakes were included. They really stop a heavy fiver.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, thanks for the info. Seems like the disc brake kits are really coming down in price.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Bob, I was at the Hershey RV show today and checked on brake change. I found a electric powered hydraulic disc set up. You can swap your solenoid electric shoe brakes over to hydraulic disc for about $1,200.00 for a complete kit. The stuff literally bolts onto your rig. Looked like a weekend job for me and a 6 hour job with an experienced shop. Quality Trailer Products or qtrailer.com

Tom

Tom
I changed my brake over to disc last year in my garage. Like you say, not a big job. Really bang for the money over the old electric brakes!