Providing additional support for closet pole

patrick1945

We have some deflection in our closet pole and I would like to provide additional support in the middle. Has anyone out there done this?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There have been previous threads which have discussed this. Many folks have put a support pole in the middle. Either by using wood or PVC. Personally when ours fell I just used nuts and bolts to support the middle and it has worked so far.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I installed a home closet pole. Mounted it in a vertical position with the chrome mounts that one would use on the walls in a home. I stained it to match the oak color. Its not going to sag now and looks like it belongs there. The door latches are gone and velcro keeps them shut.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What are you folks hanging on that rod? Mine has supports at both ends and these two in between. The wife has that rod stuffed with things on hangers. To the point I need a shoe horn to get my jeans in there. No deflection or loosening of the supports.

View attachment 10061

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What are you folks hanging on that rod? Mine has supports at both ends and these two in between. The wife has that rod stuffed with things on hangers. To the point I need a shoe horn to get my jeans in there. No deflection or loosening of the supports.

View attachment 10061

Ours only had one flimsy support in the middle. Needless to say it did not hold it. Had to rehang it. Now it is solid. Looks like yours had a sturdier install from the get go.

jnbhobe

My first time out with the rig over 3yrs ago our closet rod fell down. We were on our way to Branson and had to fix it in a Wally World parking lot before we could go to bed. It will never fall again!!

Boca_Shuffles

The vertical two inch board on our shelf was only attached to the horizontal board by about six brads (there were no brads in the middle of the board where the center support is) . The ends of the clothes pole was firmly attached to the wall, but the center of the clothes pole is attached to the middle of the shelf. Our vertical board came loose (off) after going down some oscillating highways (similar to the video of that oscillating suspension bridge in Washington).

I put eight evenly spaced 2" brass screws through the front of the vertical board and now my shelf and clothes pole are very rigid.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
It is a problem with all brands including Heartland. They go the cheapest route. Works most of the time until you hang more than a few hangers on it.