loose capture plate

kblasdel

Hi everyone. We are on vacation in Kentucky and my husband noticed that the capture plate on our slider hitch seems to be loose. He isn't sure if this is the norm for this or if it is something new. He can't find a place to tighten it up. Any words of wisdom?:confused:

jnbhobe

Hi everyone. We are on vacation in Kentucky and my husband noticed that the capture plate on our slider hitch seems to be loose. He isn't sure if this is the norm for this or if it is something new. He can't find a place to tighten it up. Any words of wisdom?:confused:
What make hitch do you have?? Is it a Pullrite super-glide??

porthole

Retired
And along with John's Q, what pin box do you have?

And what exactly do you mean by this?
"capture plate on our slider hitch"

A picture might help a bit.

porthole

Retired
You will have to be more specific then. The capture plate is not on the hitch, it is on the pin box.

What pin box do you have on the trailer? And if you have a "TrailAir pin box it makes a difference whether it is a "Tri Glide" or not.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Karen, some capture plates have a set screw to tighten. Look around the outside of the plate where it fits to the pinbox. I just hope if thats the case that the screw didnt fall out. I think some had a little wedgy thingy that was there also.

Duane, you could call Karen and have her hold the pinbox up to the phone............just an idea. LOL

GOTTOYS

If it's the newest style universal capture plate for a Lippert pin box it should have 4 set screws, two on each side with a row of shims on the inside down each side. Just tighten them. Otherwise it my have one setscrew in the front going over the lip on the pinbox. If all else fails give Pull-Rite a call. Good Luck. Don

jnbhobe

I suspect this is not a Tri-Glide pin box as there are only a few of us with them on a Tri-Glide with a Super-Glide hitch and they are all prototypes

jpajax

I think he is talking about the the hitch in the truck because when he said slider hitch. It could be the bolt or pin that goes in the side of plate is wore or lose.

Attachments

• 0729101259b.jpg
    0729101259b.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 28

jimtoo

If your in a park, ask one of your neighbors or someone else to look at it for you. Don't take a chance if you think something is not right with the hitch.

Jim M

RollingHome

Pull Rite hitches have a capture plate and it goes on the pin box on the 5ver. The capture plate has a wedge which goes into the Pull-Rite hitch in the truck. When the truck turns the capture plate does not turn. Instead the capture plate turns the hitch in the TV which in turn slides the hitch up to 14" towards the back of the truck and vice versa.

If you have a universal capture plate it probably is welded to the pin box, check for a cracked weld. Otherwise as others have stated you have set screws and shims holding the plate to the pin box. As Jim's PDF states loose is normal. For your own knowledge and peace of mind call Pull Rite, their number is :

Pulliam Enterprises, Inc.
13790 E. Jefferson Blvd.
Mishawaka, IN 46545

Phone: (574) 259-1520
Fax: (574) 258-0289
Toll Free: 877-PULLRITE

If you are still unsure ask Pull-Rite for the number of the nearest dealer who makes house calls. I would not move the unit until I was positive it is OK.

One final thought, as a Pull-Rite owner if you do not have a Pull-Rite pulling adapter in your TV no one except another Pull-Rite TV can pull your RV. If they try to pull your RV without the adapter it will probably rip their hitch out of their TV or rip your pin box off your RV and drop your RV. The adapter cost about $125.00 and could be a day saver...

Also get a spray can of lube from Pull-Rite if you don't already have it. Ask for directions and lube often.

Good luck !
Tom

jnbhobe

( One final thought, as a Pull-Rite owner if you do not have a Pull-Rite pulling adapter in your TV no one except another Pull-Rite TV can pull your RV. If they try to pull your RV without the adapter it will probably rip their hitch out of their TV or rip your pin box off your RV and drop your RV. The adapter cost about $125.00 and could be a day saver..)

This is true only if your adapter is welded on, If not all you have to do is remove your adapter plate by loosening the set screws and removing the plate. Then any one can pull your rig.

porthole

Retired
And to add to Jon's comment.
If your adapter plate is mounted on a Mor/ryde pin box you have to remove the 4 bolts, 2 in the front 2 in the back to remove the plate. Think they are 3/4 or 7/8 hex heads.
With an air gun you can get the plate off in a few minutes.
Once the plate is off reinstall the bolts.