Eggs, What's the difference.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Went to the grocery store the other day (not Wally World). When I went to pick up a dozen eggs and about the only type they had was Brown. They are more expensive than the white eggs.

I can't for the life of me understand what the difference is to make them more expensive.

An egg is an egg to me.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I hear ya Bobcat! I guess it may have a lot to do with what the chickens are fed. I can taste the difference in eggs at times. Some seem to have a richer flavor than others. Where do Brown Eggs come from anyway???
Another thing. Why are Eggland's eggs so much more expensive than others?

porthole

Retired
White chickens have white eggs
Brown chickens have well you guessed it.

At least that is the official answer from my buddy that keeps about a dozen or hens for eggs.

No reason for a price difference.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Eggland eggs cost more for the same reason a name brand drug costs more than a generic.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Did a Google search and came up TheStraightDope.com which said:

According to the Egg Nutrition Board (and who should know better?), "White shelled eggs are produced by hens with white feathers and ear lobes. Brown shelled eggs are produced by hens with red feathers and red ear lobes. There is no difference in taste or nutrition between white and brown eggs." The people at Crisco (who may know even more than the egg nutritionists) go further to say, "They simply come from two different breeds of chickens. Brown eggs, however, are more expensive because the chickens that lay them eat more than those that lay white eggs." Among the breeds that lay brown eggs are the Rhode Island Red, the New Hampshire and the Plymouth Rock--all larger birds that require more food.
But Bill Finch of the Mobile Register suggests that brown eggs may have tasted better at one time. He says, "For years, the chickens preferred by commercial growers happened to lay white eggs. A few smart cooks sought out brown eggs because most of the home-reared American flocks, which had access to flavor-enhancing weeds and bugs, happened to lay brown eggs. Commercial egg producers eventually got wise to this. They started raising chickens that laid brown eggs, and charged a premium for them at the store.
"But because the white AND brown grocery-store eggs are the result of the same bland commercial diet, their eggs taste exactly the same. Many people still apparently don't realize they've been duped at their own game."

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, we buy eggs from generic chickens. Some of the cost hike could the 500 million eggs recalled from Iowa.

RollingHome

This is a stupid post and I love it ! You guys have answered questions that I always wondered about and was too - well, embarassed to ask - It is a fun post and I've enjoyed reading it. By the way Patti and I reside in PA. we just love Maryland eggs. They are bigger, taste better and are more funner. Any of you think other states have better eggs too ? I know it's a dumb question, but you dudes been around so what's yer opinion ? We do a lot of things good in PA but eggs is not one of them. We do have whoopie pies and scrapple though (garbage IMO)... However, nothing, I mean nothing, beats a Philly cheese steak, I mean comon, if you can find a better way to inject fat and chlolesterol let me know, the cardiologist luv em... Tom

POCOHORSE

Troy & Tracy Chaddon
My grandMA always said brown eggs are best. I don't know why but Grandma's know these things. I always buy cage free brown eggs.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
All this science and knowledge has really enlightened me. I thought the color was dependent on where the egg came out of the chicken. Chicken having a bad day, you get brown. Good day, white.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
"WHERE THE EGG CAME OUT OF THE CHICKEN"???? I did not know that a chicken had more than one place ??? Boy, I guess I need to do more research on chickens.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is a stupid post and I love it! Tom

Wow!!! I don't know if I should feel hurt or honored. I like unusual topics where we can learn and have fun.

A lot of the posts were getting to serious for the ending of our summer. We need to lean back, kick our feet up on the rail and smile. :cool:

If your not having fun your doing the wrong thing.

BC

Oh DW and I are on our way to eat some LOBSTER in Bar Harbor. MMMmmmmm. :p

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The color of the egg is dependent on the breed of the chicken laying them. The chickens you used to eat at grandma's were probably hens. Chickens today are harvested much too early to develop any real flavor. Grandma's bird was probably near the end of it's laying life...and that's decidedly more than the average 4 months a bird takes to get to your table.

watchthebox

Like Lefty said, the color of the egg is determined by the breed of the chicken. It is irrelevant of the overall color of the chicken, but the earlobe color will give you some clue as to what color eggs the hen will lay (typically white earlobe = white egg, red earlobe = "brown" egg). I have several breeds of chickens. My brown hen (a Leghorn variety) lays white eggs, like are most commonly seen in supermarkets, and my white hen (a Delaware variety) lays a light pinkish tan colored egg. Other breeds of chickens even lay light green eggs, blue eggs, and dark brown eggs.

All other things being equal, the nutritional value is not related to the egg color. I think many people think brown eggs are inherently healthier because brown egg laying hens are often the ones raised by individuals or small farms where the hens are free ranged, and therefore are better for you. But if you raise white egg laying hens under the same conditions their eggs will be equally healthy. Hens allowed to free range where they have access to green plant matter reportedly produce more nutritious eggs with less cholesterol, less saturated fat, among other things. The eggs also have a richer flavor, and more yellowish orange (rather than just yellower) yolks.

ChopperBill

Just some of my egg stories. An aunt of mine learned in home ec class to remove the "twister", the umbilical cord. before you used and egg. Should would only eat her own home made cakes, cookies and other baked itemes because she wasnt sure the twister was removed. I wont eat "farm fresh" eggs because when I was a kid my mom broke open a couple that had unborn chicks in 'em. Folks say yes but the yokes are so much brighter. All I can think of is blood and unborn chicks. I knew a tough biker once we called "EGGS". All you had to do is mention an egg and he started to gag. Keep on talking about them and he would vomit. Thats all the egg stories I have.

jimtoo

Think I'm gonna buy me some brown spray paint,,, and some eggs,,,, cause I know I could sell'em somewhere around here.... maybe open a booth at the rallies...,,, I can see it now... "GET'SUR BROWN EGGS HERE... BETTER TASTING,,,, LARGER... FRESH FROM THE YARD...GET'SUR GOOD BROWN EGGS HERE...!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
"WHERE THE EGG CAME OUT OF THE CHICKEN"???? I did not know that a chicken had more than one place ??? Boy, I guess I need to do more research on chickens.

What, you're saying the egg and the nasty come out of the same spot?? EEEEEWWWWW! Next you're gonna tell me that's why the dark meat is dark.

Tofu, anyone?

RollingHome

Easy answer Bob, you should feel honored :) Ya brought much joy and laughter to all who have been on this post, but ya gotta admit, it's still a stupid post which we all Luv... ta. My only request, do another one next year :) I just shiver at what it will be about... But knowing you, it will be sick, very, very sick... and we luv it :) ta

jimtoo

Easy answer Bob, you should feel honored :) Ya brought much joy and laughter to all who have been on this post, but ya gotta admit, it's still a stupid post which we all Luv... ta. My only request, do another one next year :) I just shiver at what it will be about... But knowing you, it will be sick, very, very sick... and we luv it :) ta

Yes, you did good Bob,,, and we all Love you and Pat.... Pat a little more maybe,,well for sure... Just don't eat to many Brown eggs Bob...,,, remember when Mom would say if you ate to much or drank to much,,,,, you could go blind....well,,,watch the brown eggs Bob....