Questions on 3950 and 3850

irish

We are trying to decide between the 3950 and 3850 and have some questions since we can't go and look at them (over 300 mi to the nearest dealer with any on the lot)

How does the couch make into a bed and how much space is there once it is out? We will most likely be traveling with my mom and step-dad and they will be sleeping in the living room. Can you get past the bed from the front as if you were going to the garage?

Can you get to the refrigerator in the 3850 when the slides are in?

Do we need the second a/c in the bedroom? We will be in AZ until late spring, so good a/c is a must.

Does the heat and a/c vent into the garage on both units? This will be my workspace for my business and again heat and a/c are a must.

Any insights into either of these units would be appreciated. Thanks.

Now that I have done some more reading here on the forum. I have more questions.

Is it true that the underbelly of the garage is not insulated??

Will I have to do more insulating myself to make this liveable for several months out of the year in all kinds of weather?

Last edited:

TNT

Don't know about many of your questions as we only have a 3210. Can tell you you'll need a 2nd AC for bedroom and insulated and covered garage. We have been in some pretty cold weather and there is definitely a difference in the garage. We have also been in some pretty warm weather and our one AC is just do-able. A larger unit would need another AC.

Good luck!

PUG

Pug
How does the couch make into a bed and how much space is there once it is out? We will most likely be traveling with my mom and step-dad and they will be sleeping in the living room.

My couch has a board that fits into the curved section and a pad that sits on top of it. I have had to put a small padded footstool under it for reinforment. NOT THE MOST COMFORTABLE OR LONGEST BED I HAVE EVER SLEPT IN BUT NOT THE WORST. IF YOU MAKE IT TO NICE PEOPLE MAY WANT TO BE THERE ALL THE TIME. MY 3950 WILL SLEEP 10 BUT 2 IS MUCH NICER..... I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE TO TRIP OVER PEOPLE SO WE KEEP VISITORS TO A MINIMUM.

Can you get past the bed from the front as if you were going to the garage? YES

Can you get to the refrigerator in the 3850 when the slides are in? MINE IS 3950. FRIG SLIDES IN CLOSE TO COUNTER AND CAN'T BE OPENED. FREEZER CAN BE OPENED (ACCESS THROUGH GARAGE DOOR) WHILE TRAVELING THE FRT DOOR LETS YOU INTO THE POTTY AND MASTER BEDROOM. THE GARAGE ACCESS DOOR LETS YOU INTO THE GARAGE, GARAGE POTTY AND COUCH AREA AND FREEZER. WE HAVE PUT A PORTABLE EXTRA FREEZER IN GARAGE.

Do we need the second a/c in the bedroom? We will be in AZ until late spring, so good a/c is a must. WE ALSO SPEND TIME IN AZ TO LATE SPRING AND OCCASIONALLY USE THE AC IN BEDROOM BUT ONLY ON THE HOTTEST DAYS FOR A DAYTIME NAP WITH THE DOOR SHUT. AT NIGHT IN THE MASTER BEDROOM WE SHUT DOOR AND USE SMALL ELEC HTR.

Does the heat and a/c vent into the garage on both units? This will be my workspace for my business and again heat and a/c are a must.
THE HEAT AND AC IN MINE ARE NOT IN THE GARAGE. WE OPEN THE DOOR AND LET LIVING ROOM A/C BLOW IN THERE FOR AC AND USE A SMALL ELECTRIC HEATER FOR WARMTH. OUR GARAGE IS AN OFFICE, LAUNDRY, EXTRA BEDROOM, JUNK ROOM AND HAULS TWO FOUR WHEELERS.

AT CAMPGROUNDS THAT PROVIDE THE ELECTRICITY WE STRICTLY USE THE PORTABLE ELECTRIC HEATERS (ON THEIR DIME) OTHERS LIKE THE ONE IN TUCSON THAT YOU PAY FOR ELECTRICITY, WE USE FURNACE TO WARM THINGS UP IN THE MORNING AND ELEC HEATERS FROM THEN ON AS ELEC IS CHEAPER THAN GAS.

I SUGGEST YOU TALK WITH A DEALER OR THE FACTORY AND ORDER YOUR UNIT TO YOUR SPECS.

WE LOVE OUR 3950. A COMPLAINT I HAVE IS THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ROOM ON THE SIDES OF THE BED TO GET IN AND OUT OR TOMAKE THE BED. TOY HAULERS ARE NOT INSULATED (WALL OR WINDOWS) AS WELL AS FULL TIME UNITS AS I BELIEVE THEY ARE MOSTLY MADE FOR SPRING, FALL AND SUMMER USES. WE HAVE SPENT COLD WINTER DAYS IN OURS AND THEY WILL SUCK UP THE ELEC OR GAS FAIRLY WELL. THEY ARE HEAVY. I USED TO PULL IT WITH A 3/4 CHEV DURAMAX SINGLE REAR TIRES AND AIR SHOCKS. WENT TO A 09 DUALLY 1 TON RAM CUMMINS THAT HANDLES IT VERY WELL.

irish

Thanks everyone for the replies. Once we can get financing (seems to be an issue right now), we will get the 3950 and most likely order it as suggested.

Yianni

I have a 2010 3010 and it came with an A/C vent in the garage. We found this last Summer when we were in Red Bluff (108*) the A/C unit did a pretty good job. We found the bedroom gets very cool from the factory installed vent. My wife was getting too cold at night. I'd rather have a second A/C unit in the garage. That area took very long to cool down and stay cool. It's a large area for just 1 vent.