Water heater falling out

iefpro01

Well we just returned from our first big trip to Nashville, and noticed several things that needed to be repaired. So we took it to the ExploreUSA dealer where we purchased the rig. We discovered that the water heater was leaking a bit and that it was pulling away from the trailer wall... About a 1/4 inch.

The dealer said it is not covered under the extended warranty and that it was going to take 4 hours of work at a cost of about $435 to fix - $109 per hour! First shock: just learened that an RV mechanic makes $40 per hour more than a certified Ford Diesal mechanic...

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem, any suggestions how I can fix it myself. I am going to ask Heartland to cover it, since it really is something that should be considered faulty installation... But just in case, not sure I want to spend $400 bucks for this issue...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mine was similar but not quite 1/4". Maybe half that. It was taken care of while I was still under warranty but it only took maybe a half an hour. It had to be re-mounted and re-caulked. Certainly not 4 hours. I think someone is pulling your... leg.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Definitely contact Heartland about this, and call the underwriter of the Extended Warranty yourself. Unless there's some structural damage to the water heater (which costs more than $500), I believe all that holds the water heater in place are four long screws. Take a closer look, you might be able to fix it yourself. Look at page 3 of the attached Suburban manual for a diagram (you can find this in the Tools section).

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...ban/SW10-12-16_DSI_Water_Heater_Surburban.pdf

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Which Explore RV was it. I had problems with the one that was in Georgetown (closed now).

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Tackle it yourself or get a friend with a little carpenter experience to look at it. It should be basic handy man stuff. Take some pictures & post on this forum. We can all help.

iefpro01

Well Heartland said emphatically NO! Out of warranty, your problem... I went ahead an approved the repairs at Explore USA Denton Texas. They said that "Maybe" it will not take as long as first thought. We will see. If they dont do me right - I will be using a new dealer in the future. And at this point my next RV will not be a Heartland. Dont want to be mean, ugly or rude, just expressing my displeasure with the quality of the brand... First trailer had to be completely replaced, and now things like this just makes me lose all confidence in this brand.

Oh Ray - Heartland said to me this has "never" happened before, so it must not be a factory issue... Gave me the impression that it must be something I did... LOL, I told him that there are no marks on it like I hit something, no scratches on the side of the trailer, but still a NO!