I'm Now a Member...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
...of the club of owners that have moved a slide with a cabinet door open behind it. I thought I was perfect, I thought I was immune. Fat chance. I broke one of the bedroom mirrored cabinet doors this morning at the storage yard when I extended the bed slide. I was trying to get at something I had left in there, but couldn't reach it. Then I went and did another project that required moving the main slide a bit. Finished that and then moved the bed. Heard a loud crunch and a jolt and thought the slide had fallen out. Nope, it's still up there. Go inside and as soon as I entered the bedroom, I saw what I had done. CARUMBA! And myriad expletives. I had forgetten to close that door.

But luck was with me. Only the stile on the inner edge of the door snapped off and the mirror was intact. Fortunately, the breaks were fairly clean and I found the two large chunks that came off. I removed the brads that were sticking out, dusted off the loose debris and reglued it with TiteBond III. Applied a bead of Loctite adhesive along the glass to reinforce the job and it's good as new. Also had to rework the slightly bent hinges back to flatness.

As Red Green says; "If the women can't find you handsome at least let them find you handy." Pays to have a bit of woodworking experience and tools. That egg crate table is what I use for cutting plywood sheets down to manageable size.

View attachment 10081View attachment 10082View attachment 10083View attachment 10084View attachment 10085

SilverRhino

Welcome to the Club!

I've come up with an idea to help prevent this.....We've all seen the protected switches on race cars, space shuttle etc. My thought is to mount a piece of plexi over the slide switch with a warning to check all doors & drawers before engaging. I plan on extending the top switch plate screw and mounting the warning cover on that. Of course that said.....it will only work as long as the warning is adhered to and not just pushed out of the way......New habit to develop!

To me.....it seems easier for accidents to happen when using the outside slide switch or the new remotes. I check clearence when we pull in with a marked awning rod....then have wife watch outside while I watch inside.

Last edited:

bighorn3370

John, it looks like you came out on top of a bad situation. Glad it was easy to rework. If that would have been mine, the mirror would have broken, and the slide would be all jacked up. Ernie