Mor-Ryde Noise?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a question regarding a slapping or loud popping noise from the suspension on our 3400. When driving slowly through campgrounds over speed bumps or in parking areas with pot holes, I'm hearing these loud noises coming from the springs. I've visually checked and have no broken leaves. Everything appears normal and the ride height is fine. Any thoughts on these noises? Does anyone else have these noises?
Thanks Folks:confused:

ct0218

I have had those noises with every trailer I've had. I have to say that i hear less of it with the Landmark, at least at this point.

Ray LeTourneau

What it turned out to be was a broken center support. It's the one molded in rubber that carries the center link. It was discovered at the rally by Mor-Ryde and fixed afterward at their facility. Now that I know how to check, it's something I'll be keeping an eye on. I do like the idea of the greaseable spring bushings. I should order a set to install. I think it's a pretty straight forward install as long as I use jack stands.

Uncle Rog

Ray, my suspension is being replaced by Lippert and the rep "suggested" that I have a tube welded from each MR unit to keep them from twisting up the leaf springs..........I am having it done as we post....

Ray LeTourneau

dieselengineer said:
So what do you look for to check the center link?
Check to see that the rubber hasn't separated from the mounting bolts on the center plate between the springs. If it has, it will be sitting higher up in between the plates. I guess it's safe to run it like that but some clearance is lost and it moves around a bit within the plates causing that noise I had.

Ray LeTourneau

Uncle Rog said:
Ray, my suspension is being replaced by Lippert and the rep "suggested" that I have a tube welded from each MR unit to keep them from twisting up the leaf springs..........I am having it done as we post....
I guess if there was one thing that has me concerned about these 5vers is the fact that as the "factories" discover better ways of doing things they make changes to improve the newer rigs but some of us are left out to wonder if this is something we need to worry about. I would hope that when Mor-Ryde checked and repaired my suspension they would have noted this and weather it should be a concern to me. I know there was a thread a while back about a gusset to strengthen the center bracket. I'm pretty sure mine has that done. Is this what you're referring to? :confused:

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Wet bolt kit

Ray:

I bought and installed a "wet bolt kit" on our MorRyde suspension. I did it mainly to keep the spring ends and shackles from wearing badly and probably a little better working suspension. I did find the original shackles (non-lubricated) were beginning to wear oval shaped. I didn't have any difficulty removing the old ones and installing the new ones. I did jack up the trailer by the frame and blocked it fore and aft of the wheels with 6X8 inch stacked wooden blocks. I used a small 1 1/2 ton floor jack and a 4' 4X4 post under the two axles to raise or lower the axles as needed to get the bolts in or out.

Tom

Uncle Rog

Ray, no they are not installing gussets, although in theory they would accomplish the same thing. The fix is a simple 1-1/2" tube welded to the inside of each MR. I was concerned about the heat on the rubber bushings but Joe at the shop said the welding would not take long enough to damage anything.....we will see.......

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Wet Bolt Kit

dieselengineer:

I bought the "Wet Bolt Kit" from Mor-Ryde. They were at the Rally last spring but didn't have a kit with them at the time. They sent it the following week. The shackles had "Dexter" stamped on them, maybe they're actually made by Dexter. The shackle plates are much thicker than the originals also, about 3/8 ". Sure nice to be able to grease them.

Tom

Uncle Rog

sislv, is there a part # or just called a wet bolt kit? When I get my 3600 back I am going to watch the springs like a hawk.........

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Wet Bolt kit....

dieselengineer:

I don't recall a part number. I had just asked their rep for a Wet Bolt kit. You might check their web site and see if anything is listed. Here is the link:

http://www.morryde.com/

If that doesn't show anything give them a call....

Tom

PS: I just checked their site and found the "Wet Bolt Kit" mentioned on their "RE" model suspension web page. Here is the page:

http://www.morryde.com/php/products/suspensions/towables/RE.php

ct0218

I bought mine from Dexter, and I think it is on their website but a little difficult to find. The "wet" bronze bushings do make a difference compared to the thin plastic OEM. When I changed mine out the plastic was about 50% gone.

ct0218

No, sorry. Not sure it would be the same for everyone anyway. I have 8K axles with Neverlube hubs. I just looked through the Dexter site and I think it is K71-359-00. Might be better to call Dexter, or Mor-ryde.